What's new

Thinking about a smoker

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have limited space, already own a weber Genesis grill that I love but I've been thinking of an electric smoker that's small patio friendly. Any suggestions?
I'd really like a Trager some day but not till we get a house and that won't be for a few years.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Weber smokey mountain (aka bullet) has a small size. I own the small one and it takes up no space at all on the deck. Tucks away nicely. It's not electric but it is small and pretty easy to use.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Not electric Z, but there seems to be a big cult following for the Big Green Egg Smoker. There is a mini that might suit your space requirements for about 4 hundo. Kinda pricey, I know but if you read up, you might find yourself sold.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a Bradley smoker, the digital 6-rack model. It was an upgrade to my years old Original 4-rack model. It's about the size of a large dorm fridge. I use it to smoke my Canadian bacon, sausage, salmon, etc...even cheese. In your general area, you can check 'em out at Cabela's, among other vendors.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a Materbuilt 40" that I got on sale at Bass Pro last winter and I really like it. I also have a big side smoker that I use for bigger smokes.

I don't have time to watch my side smoker so I'm actually doing 2 racks of ribs and a pork tenderloin on the Masterbuilt today. I'm busy doing some remodeling of my family room. It's very easy to use and turns out good bbq. The only complaint I have is you don't get as nice of a smoke ring as with the bigger smoker.

If you have any detailed questions feel free to pm me.

Btw, they also have a 30" if you are really limited on space. And it's not real hot to the touch incase you have little ones running around they won't get burned if they touch it.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks for the pic... that looks like it holds a lot of meat. It just the wife and I and a small patio that already houses my Weber grill and my DTV dish... and my smoking station :cigar:.
I seem to get the impression that Cabbalas or Bass Pro is the place to go for these. Ill have to check those out next week.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like the fact that it will use any brand chips in the loader. The bluetooth sounds like it could be useful if the app works ok. The glass front will be a pain to keep clean over the long run. Wish it was made with stainless steel to avoid rusting over time. Should work out for you just fine.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My glass cleans up good with oxyclean and water, but I decided I don't really need to see the meat so I don't clean it that often. Mine also has a built meat probe and a remote that controls the time, temp and light. It has a long range. I can go over to my neighbors to watch a game and keep tabs on the meat temp or change the temp or time and it works just fine. Good luck with your purchase!

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I own both the Masterbuilt and the Weber WSM and I use my WSM way more than the electric.
You will need to scrub the hell out of the Masterbuilts window to keep it clean, and in the long run, it will eventually become gunked up. It's a nice feature but after awhile the novelty wears off. The ability to set and forget is great, and with a wireless remote and meat probe, it's convenient. The downfall is it's hard to clean. Doesn't get hot enough for high heat smokes. Can't fit a turkey in there. You have to add chips often. Need to keep it out of the weather. I think the final product is not near as good as a charcoal smoked. The footprint of an 18.5 is pretty close to the electric just a bit taller. Merely my 2 cents.
I also own a Kamado Joe and I still use my WSM quite often, my vote is for the WSM.

I will also add, the Masterbuilt can smoke awesome salmon.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree the smoke isn't as good as wood, but it's not bad and I do use my wood smoker more in the summer. These shine when it comes to jerky, summer sausage, wings, pepper sticks, salmon (any fish) and things like that. I will say my ribs and tenderloin turned out great last weekend, just no smoke ring which can be a bummer. Taste is more important than looks when it comes to bbq though .

I have fit a 20lb turkey in my 40 inch with no problem. Just have to remove all the racks but one.

Here is a link to the cover I have. It's much better than the factory one. Mine still looks great after a Kansas City winter and a monsoon spring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UQQP4K/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1433108558&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_FMwebp_QL70&keywords=masterbuilt+smoker+cover&dpPl=1&dpID=31t5IygliAL&ref=plSrch

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think you should go with the 40 inch. it's not that much bigger of a footprint, but holds a lot more meat.

Also, I line the bottom of it with foil for easy clean up. Racks clean like any other grill rack.

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Lonely you keep your outdoors all year long?
I was always worried bout humidity and the electronics, lose them you lose it all, but it's good to know it lasts. The cover that comes with it is indeed a bit chincy.
I tried the foiled bottom but doing a shoulder that booger dripped everywhere, and from then it's just a chain reaction. If you go electric get the big one as lomey mentioned, so your options aren't limited.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes, I keep it outside on my deck up against the house so it has a little roof cover also. I don't use the built in water pan, it's to small. I also use a foil pan with apple juice or other liquid so it catches all the dripping. I attached a pic so you can see the pan.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have been smoking my own meats for awhile and started out with a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Keep things small when you're first getting into the hobby then look at upgrades or going to coal later on...

MES30 (masterbuilt electric smoker 30") like this one an Amaze-N-Tube Smoker like this one and finally a Maverick ET-733 like this one and you're set for a good newb setup that'll get you learning this art in cooking.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1 on the ET-733. It's what the -72 and -73 should have been. (I had both). The signal punches through the garage and two kitchen walls so I can monitor temps from my easy chair.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Not electric Z, but there seems to be a big cult following for the Big Green Egg Smoker. There is a mini that might suit your space requirements for about 4 hundo. Kinda pricey, I know but if you read up, you might find yourself sold.
Man if I had the room a Green Egg would be on the short list for sure. I've never heard or read a bad thing about it.
The Green Egg is awesome, even dummies like me can use it and have meat turn out so good. I've done a ton of tri tips, chicken and ribs on it and every time it turns out great. The up side to the Egg is that you can do all the same things you would do on your weber and also smoke as well.

InstagramCapture_b8089c2b-ec65-40d8-b4f9-73d5a7024c0d_jpg.jpg