What's new

Thinking About Getting A Drum Set

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I have always wanted to play drums since I was about 12 years old. My parents, being smart, bought me a guitar. It was probably moreso that they wouldn't have to listen to me banging on shit at 13 years old. That and well... they probably wanted me to be a real musician and not the guy who hung out with them (old drummer joke) :sneaky:

So lately I have been eyeballing a set....

I'd prefer not to piss off the neighbors too much, so the appeal of an electronic set has peaked my curiosity. I know from the days of when I played in bands (guitar) that Roland was the "be all, end all" of the electronic drum world. Unfortunately, I don't have the desire or finances to pay that kind of money. In looking at the cheaper sets, I know you pay for what you get.... However, I came across this set from Alesis that has me curious. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-dm10x-6-piece-electronic-drum-set At $1050 it is on the low end, which has me curious about it's quality, but there are a lot of good reviews about the set. I did see some videos/websites that had modified the set and swapped out for mesh heads for between $200 and $300, but some of them require cutting up the padding and inserts, which void the warranty, which I am not real crazy about. The next option in Alesis is $650 more and is the same kit with the mesh heads http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-dm10-x-electronic-drum-kit-with-mesh-heads However, I still need a bass drum pedal and chair, which is going to add another $200 - $300 for anything decent.

I guess my dilemma is this.. 1. Do I even spend the money on drums never really having played seriously. 2. Is the Alesis set worth buying and if so, do I opt for the mesh right out of the gate or convert it later if I decide to stick with it (warranty is 1 year).

This may all be for nothing, but I was just wondering what some of the other drummers may think.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I know nothing about drumming, but I support this 100%. Having lived next to someone with a regular drum kit, your consideration of your neighbors is awesome.
Haha, yeah... They don't need to hear me hacking away, plus they are pretty considerate of me, like to keep that going

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have played before, when I played in the bands I would routinely go and jam(hack) a song or two
I read the post, I should have said "seriously played." I saw a roland one on craigslist in VA for $150 or so. That's why I was saying it might be worth it.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Craig, I've been playing for 23 years now and I can tell you this: there is a considerable difference between the feel and satisfaction you get from playing electronic vs acoustic drums (the difference between the best sex of your life versus that time you got drunk and tried to rub one out, only to give yourself blueballs). That said, depending on your space availability, you could save cash on buying a used acoustic set, and spend extra on sound-deadening your space. If it doesn't pan out, it is easier to resell acoustic drums for about what you paid for them.

If you have your heart set on electronics, buy something used, but make sure you get yourself an amp/speaker that can handle the range of the drum kit. And yes, the Alesis is legit, as far as electronic drums go...

Call me anytime if you wanna talk gear.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Thanks for the insight, Sean. I do know what you are saying about feel and feedback on electronic sets. Given the proximity of the neighbors I just don't see an acoustic set being an option.

Have you played the mesh style electronic sets? I've played the old school style pads and they were awful, the Roland mesh kits were night and day by comparison.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Sure have... I have some of the old school Simmons hexagonal pads (basically wetsuit material stretched over plywood), so I know what you mean. I've played on the old school pearl hexagons as well (which are better than the Simmons), as well as the modern day Alesis (rubber and mesh) and Roland (rubber and mesh). I fully agree that the mesh feel much better, but I still don't think they deliver where it counts. However, given your proximity issues, they'd be your best bet.

Another consideration: out here we have rehearsal studios with drum sets for hourly rentals. Have you looked into anything like that, or would you be interested? You can be as loud as you want, avoid the initial investment, and if it doesn't work out, you don't have to worry about selling anything.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
im glad to hear you are interested in an electronic set. since you are already familiar with the guitar, i have a used electronic drum set that you can have, as well as an electric guitar. i have not picked these up in years, and would like to send them to anyone that would utilize it. please let me know if you are interested...ill even throw in a mic.

post.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Craig, I will echo sean and say that there's no substitute for feel. There are pretty awesome drum mute sets you can get that don't diminish the experience much from a playing standpoint but keep your neighbors from thinking they're being shelled at 2am. I use the Vic Firth ones on my Yamaha maple custom kit, and they give me the freedom to jam out without violating noise ordinances. I also think that getting a rehearsal space is a great idea. They can be had hourly, or you an do what several bands i have played in have done and get a monthly rental and just leave the kit there. It's nice to have a place your buddies can go and jam, and if you do it regularly, you can split the cost of the rental.

That being said, if you ARE going to go electronic, do it right and get a Roland kit. I have played the Alesis ones, as well as some of the store-exclusive off-brand stuff, and I actually can't think of anything complimentary to say about them. I used to work at a Guitar Center in Pro Audio a previous life and have kept up with the technology, and the Roland stuff is head and shoulders above.

Hope that helps a bit.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Craig, the Alesis is ok to start with, but the triggers go bad (get dead spots, etc) sooner than many others. For my money, you cannot beat a used Roland set (T12 brain or higher) and it'll last. There are several other good brands out there too. I have piles more info if you need or want it.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Craig, same story, and I've actually been trying around with the same thoughts. Maybe check Craigslist? Lots of used Roland sets in Atlanta, and they cycle fairly regularly. I see T6's and T9's on the reg, for under 1k, but that doesn't include kick pedal or throne usually...

More power to you though. I'm glad my parents steered more towards guitar, but I always wish I didn't look/sound like a complete dildo when it comes to playing drums...

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
@sean Not yet, haven't thought about it too much with other things going on. Honestly, it was a bit of a buzz kill with the feedback on the electronic set. I get it, but not as motivated on getting an acoustic set as I was an electronic one. The good news is, you guys saved me some money.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
@sean Not yet, haven't thought about it too much with other things going on. Honestly, it was a bit of a buzz kill with the feedback on the electronic set. I get it, but not as motivated on getting an acoustic set as I was an electronic one. The good news is, you guys saved me some money.
I'm sorry man. The last thing I wanted to do was kill a buzz...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guitar Center (which owns the site you linked) has their brand, Simmons. My girlfriend has a set, and she loves it. Granted, you have to adjust each pad, since they don't come calibrated. It isn't hard to do. And, set the sensitivity. Again, not tough to do. The set is also about $400-$500 cheaper. They do have nicer and pricier ones as well. Here is the one she has:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons-SD500-5-Piece-Electronic-Drum-Set-110178589-i3693373.gc