What's new

Thinking about giving pipes a try

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So I smoke cigarettes and am wanting to quit. I don't smoke cigars or cigarettes in the house but was trying one of those vapor kits but think I would enjoy pipes more. I was thinking of smoking pipes cause it's cold outside and I could smoke pipes in the house. Does tobacco smell good enough to smoke in the house? Has anyone ever heard of someone smoking pipes to quit smoking? Plus it would be nice to sit and smoke something while watching tv and relaxing on the couch. Any help in good smelling tobacco that I could smoke in the house and have enough nicotine to quit smoke cigarettes. Thanks in advance.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah, I know people that have but they have to fight the urge to inhale at first. I personally think it's a great idea and has actually taught me some discipline. I would suggest a cob to start and maybe Mississippi River or Shortcut to Mushrooms for a baccy. They have a nice level of nicotine but don't have offensive room notes.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I love my pipes, it's definitely a bit of a learning curve but once you get it, it's exponentially more enjoyable, if you don't inhale I doubt you would get the same nicotine as from cigarettes but there are some pretty stout pipe tobaccos out there, however I would start with easier to smoke blends until you get the hang of it, some of the stronger ones could be more harsh

Unfortunately the stronger blends don't always have the awesome room note, but there's so much out there and the piping community here would be happy to get you started myself included

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
First of all congrats on wanting to quit smoking! It's been almost a month since I had my last cigarette so I get where you are coming from. The best piece of advice that I was given and the thing that helped me to ultimately quit for good was to read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking (thanks again Eric!). It really is a great way to look at things. When I quit I stopped smoking everything for 7 days. I've also been very cautious not to use cigars or my pipes as a replacement for cigarettes. Now I'm not really concerned about vitamin N in a bowl but more about flavor (which I notice a LOT more of now).

As far as good smelling pipe tobacco it's really all personal preference ... some aromatic blends could be what your looking for as far as "room note", but personally I don't really care about the overall smell (I smoke in my man cave with an exhaust fan so it doesn't really matter). My wife does like the smell of 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher however, and it's a damn tasty smoke as well.

Good luck on your journey of quitting and hopefully your new journey down the slippery slope of pipes! Perhaps head on over to the Piper Noob trade thread and get yourself started there. If there's anything I can do to help feel free to PM me or ask in this thread. Most importantly you CAN quit!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far. It's the fixation of doing something is why I smoke I think. I may do the noob sampler. I looked at it and I never did the cigar noob trade. Would I have to do that with my years on here and my already present trader rating?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So I bought a cheap pipe yesterday and a couple of ounces of tobacco from a local shop. I like the smoke smell in the house. I've read a few web pages on how to pack and smoke a pipe but I can't keep the damn thing lit. It keeps going out I've had it go for about 5-10 min this morning. Is that about normal or can you realy light it and it burn for the hole bow once you figure it out?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So I bought a cheap pipe yesterday and a couple of ounces of tobacco from a local shop. I like the smoke smell in the house. I've read a few web pages on how to pack and smoke a pipe but I can't keep the damn thing lit. It keeps going out I've had it go for about 5-10 min this morning. Is that about normal or can you realy light it and it burn for the hole bow once you figure it out?
From one pipe noob to another (Ive still burned less than a half dozen bowls) packing it and keeping it lit will be the biggest learning curves for us. Don't give up and things will get better.
Check out this series of "the Frank Method", it helped me a lot... , ,

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
It's common to have to relight, it gets easier as you go but I rarely have one of those one light bowls, let your baccy dry more than u think is necessary, and I would avoid the aromatics to start they smell great but typically don't smoke well

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The aromatics I got yesterday are really moist. The shop I buy at blend there own and they have 30+ jars of fresh tobacco. The sell the tins but it's way more expensive. I can get an ounce of the stuff in jars for like $3.95 if I remeber correctly. How do you let it dry out, just leave the bag open?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The aromatics I got yesterday are really moist. The shop I buy at blend there own and they have 30+ jars of fresh tobacco. The sell the tins but it's way more expensive. I can get an ounce of the stuff in jars for like $3.95 if I remeber correctly. How do you let it dry out, just leave the bag open?
I take a pinch that looks about "a bowls worth" and lay it out on a piece of paper for 15mins to a couple of hours, depending on how moist it is. After I pack the bowl I just roll up the paper and pour any leftovers back into the bag/jar.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The Frank method is what I've been working on myself and it does seem to work.

As for which tobaccos smell good in the house, it is going to be personal preference. I love the smell of English blends but my wife loves the aros. I don't smoke in the house at all (about to sneak my first bowl this weekend - with her knowledge - in the basement with a fan and HEPA filter) but from just being around me while I smoke a pipe, I know that she's happier with the aros. Fortunately, I find that I enjoy aros as well.

Pick up some Captain Black and/or Carter Hall. They're mild tobaccos but they are also quite inexpensive, making them a great tobacco to learn how to pack.

And good luck with quitting cigarettes

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It took a while, but I am now at the point that, as long as I dry out the tobacco properly, I can keep the bowl lit for most of the time. But, that being said:
  • I find myself drawing on the pipe at least once a minute
  • I am constantly tamping (but very, very lightly) - more like I put the tamper in the bowl and let the weight of it do the work
  • If I do have to relight a bowl, I don't get frustrated or pissed off anymore. Just relaxing about it really seemed to help
  • Even once you get it, you will find that (for a variety of reasons) you will get that occasional bowl that just won't stay lit. That's the time to remind yourself that relights are okay.
Unlike a cigar, as far as my tastes go, a relit pipe tastes far better than having to relight a cigar that has gone out.