What's new

Thinking out loud here

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an insulated shop that I'm going to build a 20'x14' smoking room in that will also be insulated. The room will have a window unit to cool it while I'm in there each evening but I'm debating storage options for that room. I don't think a wineador could effectively combat the multiple 100+ degree days we see here in deep East Texas. Would a regular compressor cooled mini fridge with tupperdors and boveda packs work if I put an on/off temperature controller on it? I'm just spitballing ideas at this point. I can always just keep the sticks in the house and not worry about it but it would be nice to have my collection where I smoke.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a full size fridge in my uncooled garage, its controlled by a dual temp/humidity digital controller, gets over 100F lots of days in summer, the temp side is set at 65F and is connected to the main ref, i have a Humidifier connected to the humidity controller. when the ref kicks in it sucks all the humidity out very quickly so i keep my smokes in Tups(and cigar boxes), the humidifier kicks in and soon has it back up to 65%
Inkbird are the controllers i use and can be had on ebay for about $35 each

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My guess is that unless you can keep it from getting over 80 in there, the wino will not be able to keep up and will just create a good bit of condensation.

So depending on how well you can control the temp of the building / room continually. The actual fridge and tupperdors may be a better plan.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only climate control would be when I'm in there smoking, which will be daily but only for a couple of hours.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I vote for building a separate walking humidor, maybe 10’ x 6’, and having it seperately climate controlled with a humidifier. 65/65 all year round, plus you’ll never worry about storage again. :cigar:

In all seriousness, if you’re seeing 100+ degrees inside, a thermoelectric wineador won’t be able to keep up, as @Glassman stated. It’ll struggle be around 10-12 degrees of the ambient room temp. Better off converting a fridge for keeping the temp down while using Tupperware with beads or Bovedas inside of it for controlling RH.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Go with the refrigerator idea but use weather sealed plastic boxes inside the fridge with kl and bovedas. Works like a champ, may also need a small heater in the fridge for this time of year. I keep a New Air and coolidor in the house so I'm not opening the refrigerator all the time.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
A refrigerated unit with a compressor will draw out the moisture from inside. If you used it you would also have to have your cigars sealed in a humidified container like the previous poster said.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need hygrometers in each tupperdor or just trust the boveda pack? I ask because that could make the difference on the tupperdors I chose to use, if I go this route.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Would I need hygrometers in each tupperdor or just trust the boveda pack? I ask because that could make the difference on the tupperdors I chose to use, if I go this route.

I have about (6) Faux-Tupper-Wares, the kind with (4) Clips on the Top, and a Rubber Gasket. The were purchased at Bed & Bath, and are about $15.00 each. Then I used a 20% off Coupon off their web-site. Brand name begin with "S".

Now I believe they will hold 70-85 sticks per container. I use 3 - 4 Boveda per container. I also get the thin Cedar Wood like you find in Cigar Boxes (brands like My Father) uses these wood Cedar stripes.

I line the four sides of the plastic container wall insides with the skinny Cedars.

****Last to answer your question (1) Boveda per 25 Cigars in your container, NO I do not use a RH Gague I trust the Boveda.

Also I recharge my Boveda's, as they are rechargeable.

Hope this helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about (6) Faux-Tupper-Wares, the kind with (4) Clips on the Top, and a Rubber Gasket. The were purchased at Bed & Bath, and are about $15.00 each. Then I used a 20% off Coupon off their web-site. Brand name begin with "S".

Now I believe they will hold 70-85 sticks per container. I use 3 - 4 Boveda per container. I also get the thin Cedar Wood like you find in Cigar Boxes (brands like My Father) uses these wood Cedar stripes.

I line the four sides of the plastic container wall insides with the skinny Cedars.

****Last to answer your question (1) Boveda per 25 Cigars in your container, NO I do not use a RH Gague I trust the Boveda.

Hope this helps.
Excellent information, thank you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope this helps.
I bought one of these exact containers the other day. Very well built and should seal nicely.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It doesn't hurt to put hygrometers in the tuperdors, they're cheap enough. You should also try to build in some "mass" to stabilize humidity and temperature swings. I use about a 1 inch layer of KL in the bottom of the plastic boxes and built cedar trays to fit. New cedar is reasonable enough or you can re-purpose old boxes to make the trays. The more mass/cedar in the plastic boxes the more stable the environment. I use 65% Bovedas.

When the plastic is new spray everything, including the fridge, with a water and baking soda mix. Repeat a couple of times and then wipe down with distilled water. Take your time, get everything nice and clean and check that the boxes hold temp and humidity before filling with cigars. Eventually the smells that pour out of the tuperdors when you open them will remind you of the nicest humidors in your favorite B&M.

Good luck it's a fun project