What's new

This years Habanero Plants 2016

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It's that time of the year again......these are the habaneros I am growing this year. Everything went into the ground in April besides the two survivors from last years grow...more on them below ;)

HABANERO CHOCOLATE
HABANERO JAMAICAN RED
PRIMO YELLOW
TRINIDAD SCORPION CHOCOLATE
REGINAS RED HOTS ****
7 POT BUBBLE GUM ****
SUN GOLD HYBRID (cherry tomatoes)

Okra
Raspberry cauliflower
Broccoli
Strawberries

So the good news is that the Regina Red Hots and 7pot bubblegum plants came back from last year. Regina is more like a bush while the 7pot plant is like a TREE! You can see how tall and wide it is in the picture with me. I am 6' tall for size reference. It has 60 + pods on it. Between my feet in that picture is one of the new plants, hard to believe that is how small they start out! I picked and ate an orange one so it wasn't all the way ripe but whoa! On the other hand Ragina only has 10 or so pods on it. All of the other plants are coming along fine with the ones in my veg trug kicking the most ass. I even got a little crazy and put dead crawfish deep under the okra and cherry tomato plants. My little girl always swipes a few to play with and they inevitably end up for me to fish out of the pool the next day..,why not put them to good use.

Anyway super hots coming early this year be as of old plants, rain, and no heat here in central Texas!

So, are you growing any Hot Peppers this year?

Will update as the grow goes on........

Sent from my Garden

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Those are beauties!! I used to grow bird's eye chillis when I lived in North Phoenix. I will probably get back into growing next spring. :)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Dude, thats as awesome as your shirt. All my plants are way smaller than yours but i stuff a bunch of them in a small bed so maybe that's the reason. I have a habanero, Serrano, jalapeño, cow horn and a bunch of sweet peppers.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
growing some ghost & scorpion this year - usually just grow in pots (midwest) since I only get a few months of warmer weather

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Some pictures of the other peppers....

Here is what is in the vegtrug this year. From left to right back row :chocolate scorpions, primo yellow, Regina red hots. Front row : cilantro, green magic broccoli, cilantro, premium crop broccoli, and the raspberry cauliflower that's all leaf no cauliflower lol.

REGINAS

Primo Yellow

Chocolate scorpion

In a new part of my landscaping I snuck in the Jamaican red. It was a big pepper producer last year so I ordered it again this year.

Here you can see my cherry tomato plant and new to me okra plant. Picked 4 or so last weekend, beer battered them after slicing and fried them up = yum!

As much as I like the vegtrug I think that next year I am going to extend the backyard landscaping bed (where the vegtrug is now) and plant in the ground. I will have more room which means more plants. And I can rig up a individual drip irrigation off of my pop up heads that are there now. Maybe a fall project?

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Loved the pics, especially your hat and shirt.

I can't do even the hots and especially the super hots. Just can't' do it. And my wife can't tolerate much heat at all. But I think for someone who enjoys them, it would be a great hobby.
I have a 9'x36' raised bed and am only growing tomatoes this year. 29 plants total. I do have 3 mild sweet peppers in containers and they are setting peppers. One is a Cubanelle and two Shishito Japanese heirlooms. I grew both varieties last year and we really liked them. Especially the Shishito. They say 1 of 10 peppers will be HOT, but last year we got no hot ones.
Thanks for sharing your garden pics!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
About a month later here are some more pix...

REGINAS from last year started popping them out. Ate one yesterday and love the sweet heat! Great tasting hot habanero.

Yellow primos looking pimply and wicked tails. Can't wait to try this new to me pepper.

Chocolate Trinidad scorpions producing huuuuuge pods.

Jamaican reds growing in the landscaping. It like the semi shaded day but is lagging behind in height and pods. It's all good tho I'm sure I will have plenty come the end of throwing season.

Okra and cherry tomatoes growing like weeds. Seems like I'm picking 3-4 big okra so to fry or grill every few days. This is my first year growing it and it is a forgiving plant.

7 pot bubblegum tree! Almost 6' tall. 60-65 pods already

No picture of the chocolate habanero that next to the 7 pot. It's shy and quits growing when I take pictures of it :)

Sent from my iUlcer

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So jealous yours are giving out good size peppers, mine are only giving small sizes and now I'm finding pepper maggots in some of them. Trying to figure out a solution for that now.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
1st harvest of the year off of the 7pot bubblegum that made it through the winter. A little over 1lb of peppers. This is the majority of the pods that were on there from the last update picture. 15 or so stayed on to ripen up a bit longer. I understand my plant is not displaying the phenotype that makes the stems turn red. Oh well, I'm just happy I already have peppers for the year :) and they are hot as shit....

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Hi Mike, hate to drop the bomb but those aren't 7 pot Bubblegums. Here's a pick of what they look like (textured, brainy surface and a large caylax that bleeds red when ripe) image.jpeg

I don't know if you care or not but I'll check and see if I have some of my original seeds. If I do and you want them, pm me your addy and I'll send them on down the line.