What's new

This years Habanero Plants

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As August comes to an end my early hots start to ripen. This year I grew the following:

Jamaican reds
Aji limo
Smokin Ed Carolina Reaper
Elongated chocolate Habaneros
Trinidad perfumes

Living in central Texas my plants tend to produce all the way up to the end of October which enables me to grow the late ripening superhots. Out of the varieties I listed above, I grew the Jamacian Reds last year as it was wonderful to have a hot pepper early in the season...this year was no different great plant! The Aji limo is right next to it and is just now starting to grow an elongated pods. The Reaper has to have the biggest leaves on any pepper plants I have ever seen. It has two narley looking pods growing on it. The Chocolate Habanero plant is HUGE. I planted it on my side bed and it loves the southern facing slope. I have had to tie it to a bush behind it to keep it from falling over! It has a ton of flower spots on it ;). The Trinidad perfume plant is smaller but has many bell shaped fruits on it. The cool thing about this plant is that you get all of the flavor and smell of a Habanero but no heat...still have to try one.

Looking forward to a big harvest this year :)

Jamaican Red

Sent from my kegerator

Mikes

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looks great Mikes! Here in KC my peppers do well into October, long after my tomatoes and squash are done. The chocolate habanero sounds like something I would like to grow next year. When they come on send pics.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Will do. Besides loving the endorphins rush and flavor these peppers are very colorful and unique looking. They add to my landscaping for sure especially when the peppers start to color.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So e pictures of the first Chocolate Habanero. it was still a little green when I picked it but wanted to see how the heat and taste compared to the other varieties I have had over the years. It was not as hot as the Jamaican Reds, and had a more complex flavor. The one here had a ton of seeds inside, don't know if the others will be the same way or not. I'm sure if I let them stay on the plant longer the heat level will go up and they will be a much darker brown. This plant is about 4.75 ft high and 3 ft wide!

Still have the Limo Habaneros and Carolina reapers to try ;). Will post pix of those when they are ready

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That is very cool stuff! I don't have a garden this year and didn't realize how much I miss it until seeing this thread. I will look forward to enjoying a garden vicariously through your pics.

A guy I worked with parents had hot peppers in a greenhouse, and he said if they don't freeze that they will live for years. He also said that they don't really produce until after their first couple years. You Brothers know anything about this? He was kinda full-o-shit, but damn did he have access to some hot-ass peppers!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I did jalapeños this year for the first time and couldn't believe how many my four plants put out. Still going strong too.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What do you guys do with the habaneros? My neighbor gave me a few and i cut one up and put a few thin slices on a fajita and they were way too hot to eat raw!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
What do you guys do with the habaneros? My neighbor gave me a few and i cut one up and put a few thin slices on a fajita and they were way too hot to eat raw!
Chili or salsa. Good dried and used in spice rubs for meat. I like hot food a lot though ymmv

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well here it is in all it's glory. The Carolina Reaper! Newest hottest pepper in the world. I'm a little disappointed as the plant looks healthy but so far has only produced two peppers. I guess my stomach is thanking the plant lol! I chopped a corner off of this one and divided it into pieces the size or a little bit bigger than a toothpick head. As I was making the initial cut the whole kitchen smelled like pepper spray. Tons of flavor packed into these 1 or 2 mm pieces. Heat hits a bit later and in the back of your mouth...and you can feel them going down inside of you. I cannot imagine eating bigger pieces than I cut ;). And would think if you were going to heat these up you better have a gas mask on.

Hope to get some more growing to send out to unsuspecting victims!

Sent from my iPad

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well here it is in all it's glory. The Carolina Reaper! Newest hottest pepper in the world. I'm a little disappointed as the plant looks healthy but so far has only produced two peppers. I guess my stomach is thanking the plant lol! I chopped a corner off of this one and divided it into pieces the size or a little bit bigger than a toothpick head. As I was making the initial cut the whole kitchen smelled like pepper spray. Tons of flavor packed into these 1 or 2 mm pieces. Heat hits a bit later and in the back of your mouth...and you can feel them going down inside of you. I cannot imagine eating bigger pieces than I cut ;). And would think if you were going to heat these up you better have a gas mask on.

Sent from my iPad
That thing looks like it is nature saying stay far far away.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Sent from my iPad
That thing looks wicked!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Chili or salsa. Good dried and used in spice rubs for meat. I like hot food a lot though ymmv
I put mine in salsa or mix them with some sweet peppers and put in my scrambled eggs. I also freeze them and use in a homemade spicy chicken and noodle soup in the winter. Really warms you up!

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've done the usual chili and other ethnic dishes with them. But I also love chopping them up and mixing them into ground beef and making burgers