What's new

Time for smokes?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thought about asking this on a recent thread but didn't want to hijack the discussion going on there. It was in regards to how much/how many cigars people smoke. Some folks smoke 3-5 a week, others 3-5 a day. I have a simple question I'd like people to answer...

Who has time for all those cigars? Seriously?

I'm not being critical, but rather, jealous!! I wish I could find the time to smoke more than once every so often (although a benefit is I'm sitting on a bunch of aged CC stock now as a result).

But seriously, I'm a 29 year old guy (30 in a month, take that FOGs!!!! Lol) with a wife and kid. Regular working hours, only a 20 minute commute (so no time for a cigar there).

If you're someone that smokes one or more a day, when/where do you smoke? Do you work? Own your own company, smoke in the office? Smoke during your commute? Morning? Evening? What does your smoking day look like? Additionally I'm in Wisconsin, so a lot of time it's just too cold for being outside. I could probably "make" more time for cigars, and perhaps I should, but I'm just generally curious.

Would love to know what your typical day/week looks like and when you are getting those smokes in.

-Paul

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LOL I know which thread...

So #1 I'm in FL there's only about 4 days a year when it's too cold to smoke (and I bought an outdoor propane heater for those days)
I work 7 minutes from the house so I can come home (7 min, eat lunch 10 min, smoke a small cigar like an Af short story, or HU half corona 35 min, and drive back 7 min) That's #1
After work I generally will have another small - medium lets say corona about 45 - 55 min before I go play tennis. That's #2
After returning from tennis, I eat dinner, usually watch a 45-55 min show with the wife and go out on the patio for my evening smoke (this will generally be the largest of the day robusto - toro taking 1:15 - 1:30) That's #3 every day. On Wed and Friday I don't play tennis so I might get to squeeze in 4 or do something with the wife.

On weekends and days off it's usually about 4-5 and every once in a while I miss one and only get in 2 for the day.

I'm married but all my wife's kids are grown up and living on their own. I'm 50 but I've only had this habit/hobby for 4 months so we'll see I already have flavor issues and may need to cut back as per that other thread.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke most days on way to work (mostly short cc's).

I also will put a cigar down and light it again later. This is how my smoking mentor smokes and I don't have a problem w/it. Most cigars taste fine doing this imo. Some don't.
I don't see anyone really mention doing this, so it's perhaps frowned upon.

I think my average is 12ish a week..

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I work for CI, so I smoke at my desk all day every day. I usually work in 3-5 cigars and 3-5 pipes, plus a few cigarettes while driving to and from. I don't smoke cigars in my apartment, but pipes are fair game (the smell won't linger no matter how many I smoke) so I usually burn down another 1 or 2 bowls before bed.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I smoke most of mine on my commute to and from work. About a year ago, I moved closer to work so now only have a 20 min ride.
I am a home roller though so I've been working on making shorter smokes. No smoking in the house, no smoking at work, working 12.5 hour rotating shifts, wife and two kids ages 12 and 14, I hear you about the struggle to find time.
I prioritize family over cigars on my days off since I don't see them much while I am on duty. The commute is my twice a day smoke time.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I smoke 2 or 3 a day , one afternoon and 2 in the evening, after dinner I’ll grab a drink and my laptop sit on the front porch and hunt and peck and smoke a couple of cigars .......

U ask time well being semi-retired every day is Saturday, when I do work it’s still a cigar at lunch and 2 when I get off shift what ever time that may be ........

There is only two of us in the house , all kids r grown and gone , so it’s a lil easier for me ......

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With the heat of our summers I have fallen into the habit of not being active between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. So it's a cigar and maybe a drink. I usually don't smoke in the evening because it affects my sleep so if I miss my window then it's probably a day my palate gets a rest.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Weather permitting, I'll smoke 1 or 2 cigars over a weekend. Here in SoCal, we are very lucky to have pretty decent weather most weekends year round, but if it's too cold I won't smoke. Plus I am usually smoking when doing yard work and/or outdoor projects which don't happen much during the winter, lol.
So, put me down for 1-2 per week :)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Same boat here (hi neighbor). When Wisconsin weather cooperates, i just don't have the time.

I can't smoke at home (not even on the porch, thanks to the complex rules). I work 15 minutes away, so not during the commute. Work 8+ hours. Spend anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours training and/or at the range, where I'm focused and can't keep a cigar lit because I'm doing other things. Add in cooking dinner, physical fitness, and "life obligations" (i.e., be a significant other, son, brother, uncle, etc), plus a few hours of sleep and my 24 hours are up.

Love my stogies, but not willing to prioritize them over the truly important stuff in my life. I can fit them in on the weekends or the occasional round of golf.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
During the week I’ll try to get one in after work before dinner or after dinner. On the weekends I’ll usually get one or two on Saturday and Sunday. My kids are 20 and 14. They are usually pretty occupied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm retired so I smoke when I want to and just a week ago I made a purchase of an air purifier that works really really well and now I'm able to smoke inside my house whenever I want to. People have talked about the size of the cigars they smoke and where they live which is a direct correlation of the hobby... some don't have the time to devote to a Churchill so they either do a lanchero or Corona or a robusto size cigar. There are times when I'll smoke two a day or put off smoking all together for weeks or months at a time... Just depends on my mood.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm retired so I smoke when I want to and just a week ago I made a purchase of an air purifier that works really really well and now I'm able to smoke inside my house whenever I want to. People have talked about the size of the cigars they smoke and where they live which is a direct correlation of the hobby... some don't have the time to devote to a Churchill so they either do a lanchero or Corona or a robusto size cigar. There are times when I'll smoke to a day or put off smoking all together for weeks or months at a time... Just depends on my mood.
I smoke in the house and have an exhaust fan setup in the basement. The wife doesn't mind the cigars at all but some pipe tobacco really gets to her. What air purifier do you have and how well does it work? Also smoke in the office (own a small business). A combination of 1-2 cigars and 1-3 bowls daily.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I smoke in the house and have an exhaust fan setup in the basement. The wife doesn't mind the cigars at all but some pipe tobacco really gets to her. What air purifier do you have and how well does it work? Also smoke in the office (own a small business). A combination of 1-2 cigars and 1-3 bowls daily.
Winix 5300 - 2..... purchased through Amazon for $130….true HEPA filter and it works great. I've used 1/2 a dozen purifiers, exhaust fans, etc and none have worked as well as this brand....the purifier uses the HEPA and charcoal at the same time along with plasma purification technology. It replaces the air with fresh air every 15 minutes.... seriously Google this machine...if you don't like it you have 30 days to return it ..no questions asked. When I smoke a cigar in my study/library the smell is gone within an hour... ALL OF IT....my wife was incredulous and the next day she had no idea I had a cigar the night before cuz if she knew she'd have had a f'n cow!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Going to school full time trying to get into PT school and working part time along with playing golf at the collegiate level means a busy day. It’s pretty cold here in West Virginia and I mostly smoke cigars outside due to smell in the dorm. I can normally fit 2 a week in after dinner and studying or after everything is done for the night weather permitting too because if I’m freezing I’m not smoking lol. Pipes 2-3 bowls a week normally when I don’t have time for a cigar or too cold and that I’ll smoke inside the dorm

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Work? Who has time for work when you have so many cigars? The wife can get a 2nd job and if you have kids they can get started at about 15 or so. Should be enough money to support the cigar addiction and allow you to retire. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, since I am single I can smoke whenever I want. When I was married I smoked in the house as well though. I normally stayed in one room where I had the computer and my home office. If it was nice out I opened the windows if not oh well. :) My wife didn't seem to mind. Sometimes she would walk in and say oh that one smells good or that one stinks bad..
Since I am just getting back into smoking I am only a couple a week. Once I get some aged stock that should bump up to 4 or 5 a day based on my past habits. :)

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I work only part time after retiring from my 30 year career in 2017. Gives me lots of time, and I usually have a cigar 4-5 days a week after the gym. And at least one 4-5 evenings a week as well. I live in the Chicago burbs, and smoke in my finished basement. I'm single and my GF likes cigars as well, so n o issues with smoking inside.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I'm lucky, I work pt in a cigar shop, so I smoke 3x's a week. I usually do not smoke on my off days, unless I REALLY get the uge, and lately it's been too cold, once spring rolls around I'm expecting to be in the herfmobile on my lunches. Just got a new job too, with a 40min commute now, so will be smoking to/from work as well.......so my stash will be taking a hit.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wife and two kids here (5yo and 3 months) so no smoking inside and there's really no way I can prioritize getting outside to smoke over family on a regular basis. During the warmer months I will get a cigar in while walking the dog or after work when the family is asleep (I work evenings). Currently, with this being a very mild winter (by Chicago standards) I've been able to get a quick smoke in on my way to work…on the bicycle lol. I normally ride pretty hard and fast and keep up with (or often go faster than) traffic on the streets, but on days where it's not too cold I take the MUP with something short and cheap. I refuse to stink up my gloves, so I go pretty slow to keep the wind-chill down on my exposed smoking hand. Then maybe once every other week I'll get out of work early enough to head to the lounge for a couple hours.

I have read about people smoking 10 cigars a day which just doesn't make sense to me, even if you're working in a cigar factory. How would you have time to eat and sleep with all that smoking?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I definitely realize I COULD make more time for smokes, but with the 5 year old and the wife and me not wanting to smell like smoke around him, etc it makes it tough. Hoping once we're more settle in the new house (been almost a year but yoy know what I mean) that I can create a garage space for some smokes but we'll see. Have thought about half Coronas or something on the commute but not sure I want to smell like cigar at work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk