What's new

Took delivery of a new stock for my bolt action

Fozgate

Maker of Sharp Things #MCGA
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This stock has been on my bucket list for a while and I finally received it. Manner's T6A designed for the Tikka CTR so I can use the stock bottom metal and stock mags (superior to AI). She's painted in GAP camo and looks absolutely stunning. I'm looking to get into PRS shooting this coming Spring/Summer. Stock is a composite of 35% carbon Fiber and 65% fiberglass.

Rifle is a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel. Brake is a Area419 Hellfire. Optic is a Vortex Razor Gen 1 5-20x and the mount is made by Spuhr.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This stock has been on my bucket list for a while and I finally received it. Manner's T6A designed for the Tikka CTR so I can use the stock bottom metal and stock mags (superior to AI). She's painted in GAP camo and looks absolutely stunning. I'm looking to get into PRS shooting this coming Spring/Summer. Stock is a composite of 35% carbon Fiber and 65% fiberglass.

Rifle is a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel. Brake is a Area419 Hellfire. Optic is a Vortex Razor Gen 1 5-20x and the mount is made by Spuhr.

That's a beautiful rifle. Since buying a 6.5 CM a few months ago, I have been reading a lot about them. Your Tikka has an excellent rep from what I have read and am sure it is a shooter. I hope you post more about it as you shoot. What ammo does your rifle like?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
schweeeeeet!

That is one purdy tikka..

Ive been thinking about building a 6.5CM.. just havent decided on an action yet... and I want to finish off a custom hunting rifle project I started for my wife first... but I think I'll likely be adding a creedmore to the arsenal before 2018 is over..

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
NICE! I have a few friends who absolutely rave about their Tikkas. I've been looking, not too seriously, at the same rifle/caliber combo for a little while now. It will likely be a few years before I buy one but as of now it will likely be the next rifle I purchase.

Fozgate

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nice! Congrats! I've been wanting to pick up a Tikka in 260, but I wanted to get a chassis that will accept the cheap mags... ;)
I was torn for a long time, traditional stock vs chassis, but I just love the way a traditional stock feels. If I had to have a chassis, this is the one I would go with https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-chassis/ it's been doing very well on the PRS circuit.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
The 6.5 is an excellent round. Used one on a hunt and too one shot to out down my deer, worked great. Glad my friend let me use it. Sort of wished I used it to get my Elk this year too, but I'll be buying one soon, the 308 did the trick on the Elk. Lol. Springfield Armory is now putting out a 6.5 With a mod stock. CNt wait to check it out. Might just stick with the Rem Magpul 700 though,

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My 6.5 CM is a lowly Ruger American Predator and it is the most accurate bolt gun I owN, even with the cheap, soon to be replaced stock. I love the 6.5 CM round.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
6.5CM has less recoil than a .308.. but there are a whole lot of factors that play into how hard/soft a gun "kicks"

weight of the rifle will significantly impact felt recoil as will the stock design and fit..

Also the weight of the projectile being fired and the powder load will change things quite a bit..

I've shot .308's that after just 10-12 rounds I've had enough.. bad stock fit.. or super lightweight rifles.. shooting from the prone.. etc.. and I've had .308's that I could literally put 200 rounds downrange a day with and have no problem at all.. there are a ton of factors that influence "kick" beyond caliber..

Where I am going is.. if youre talking a lightweight rifle (like the ruger american) shooting heavy for caliber projectiles (say 147grain hornady match) in 6.5CM.. vs a .308 that weighs just 1 lb more (say a ruger hawkeye), and shooting light for caliber projectiles (hornady 150gr for example).. the difference in what you the shooter is going to "feel" is negligible.. the .308 might even "feel" like it kicked less..

Assuming all things are exactly the same though (same make and model of gun, same weight, both shooting standard weight projectiles, etc).. the best non scientific answer to how much does a 6.5CM kick is "it falls in between a .243 and a .308"

Overall a pretty mild "kicker".. but not so much difference that the average guy that goes to the range once a month to shoot 20-30 rounds or the average hunter that shoots 1 box of ammo a year will notice the difference between it and a .308 IMO

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nice rig! I have a Tikka T3X CTR with the 20" barrel in a KRG chassis that shoots lights out. I've been very impressed with Tikka rifles.
If you're looking to get into PRS, check out the Border Wars Rifle Series. Matches all over the midwest with a couple fairly local to Chicago. We have a couple Border Wars matches up here at Lodi and a few smaller PRS style matches as well.

Fozgate

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here's a picture of my Tikka in her new stock at the range. Also, the large frame AR is a 6.5 Creedmoor I built for my buddy and yesterday was the day we tested her out. She worked flawlessly thanks to the adjustable gas-block. We had the entire range to ourselves thanks to the 25 degree weather :).

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How’d you like the 6.5 Creedmore in the AR platform?
Looks like a good day, cigars and guns are always a blast. Gonna try to get out to 5 stand tomorrow.

Fozgate

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
How’d you like the 6.5 Creedmore in the AR platform?
Looks like a good day, cigars and guns are always a blast. Gonna try to get out to 5 stand tomorrow.
She's a smooth shooter and the ballistics of the 6.5 are simply superior to that of the 308. It makes perfect sense in a large frame AR. Best part about it is all you need is a 6.5 barrel, everything else AR10 (308) is compatible.

Fozgate

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looks great Fozzie. I have no doubt it's a hell of a shooter. Any pics of groups from both guns?
No groups for the 6.5 AR10, we were just testing functionality and ensuring we could maintain zero, first time for my buddy installing a scope. I don't have any pictures handy at the moment, but the Tikka is a 1 MOA shooter all day, and if I do my part and the stars align, I've been able to squeeze .5 MOA. I'm heading back out to the range tomorrow and I'll take some pictures.

The new stock doesn't have an aluminum mini-chassis like the original stock so I will be sending it out to be professionally bedded. I was averaging 1 MOA the other day at the range, we'll see how I do tomorrow.

Fozgate

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@Old Smokey Range time will be tomorrow, here are a few groups that I managed to save with the rifle in it's stock. All groups were shot at 100 yards, 5 shots each from bipod with a rear bag (no lead sled here) and with 130r Prime 6.5Creedmoor.

Me not doing my part :vamp:

The next two are me focusing on the fundamentals.