What's new

"Tooth" or "Toothy"

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have a box of 858 Maduros that I leave in the bottom of my humidor for nondiscerning guests or for doing chores outdoors. It is probably coming up on one year of age as I bought it in November.

This past Sunday I washed the cars before the Super Bowl, since it was almost 70 here in Northern Virginia, and decided to smoke one while washing the cars. I noticed that the cigar was completely covered in tiny little bumps. Is this what is commonly reffered to as 'tooth'? Is it related to age or maturity?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I believe "tooth" is what you're seeing. If I've got it right it wouldn't be related to the age of the wrapper. The raised areas are the pores of the leaf and more tooth generally indicates a stronger flavored leaf.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Also heard it may be caused by some of the oils permeating though to the outside of the wrapper.

"Cigar mumps"

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You guys lost me on the "tooth".:scratchhe Is that a bad thing? Or areyou just being sarcastic?
There is nothing "bad" about "tooth". Some believe that it is a sign of a potentially more tasty cigar than one without tooth. They are being somewhat sarcastic, but tooth is a real discription relating to the wrapper of a cigar.

Not a fan of Cigar Afficianado as a Magazine for the most part, but here's a cut and paste from their site that should help to clear things up:
[SIZE=+2]Q:[/SIZE] What exactly is tooth? Which cigar is the toothiest?
[SIZE=+2]A:[/SIZE] Tooth describes the small, oil-filled pockets common to sun-grown, Sumatra-seed wrapper. Cameroon wrapper is the toothiest tobacco, but tooth can also be found in wrapper from Indonesia, Mexico and Ecuador. It's generally considered very desirable because the oils in tobacco are the source of its flavor. Toothy wrapper equals oily wrapper, and often a more flavorful cigar.