What's new

Tracking with Click&Ship

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Searched the site to see if this had been posted before and came up with nada, so I appologize if this has already been covered.

I've had problems with tracking my C&S packages and talked to the local PO about it. Seems that if you use C&S and don't actually take it to the PO counter, it doesn't get scanned in. I have a package that is MIA right now and when I called the USPS they informed me that there is no requirement to scan in a Priority Package until delivery. Kinda makes it hard to TRACK doesn't it? "Even if it was scanned in, sir, we wouldn't be able to track it until delivery." :wtf:

Anyhow, for those (like me) who weren't aware of this little gem of info, I guess we have to have our packages scanned at the local USPS counter in order to track them.

Just an FYI

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Dan, this is why I have always hand delivered my packages to the local post office and get a stamped receipt at the time of shipment. The USPS is assured, as am I, that the package was received and entered their system. It costs slightly more, but has been worth it to me.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I'll still use the C&S to print my lables and pay for the shipping, but now I'll make a point to take it to the counter. I just don't see why they aren't required to scan in Priority Packages in and out of every unit. Seems to me that's the idea of "tracking". Anyhow, just wanted to make sure that was out there for all to see.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I do just that. Print & pay online, bring it to the counter. I feel bad leaving the package for my mail lady.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I use the C&S as well, I let them do the legwork for me and they pick up the boxes. I believe my local post office scans the DC # when being sorted at the main office that the package has been received. Some post offices seem to track when the package will be out for delivery at the destination office and others seem to only track when the package has actually been delivered.

I think a lot has to do with the size and age of the post office as some are larger and newer thus more hi tech and up to speed than others.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
For Priority Mail USPS does not do tracking numbers or tracking, they do delivery confirmation numbers.
They never say those numbers are for tracking, just for confirming delivery.
By only scanning at delivery they are fulfilling the bare min. requirements.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
For Priority Mail USPS does not do tracking numbers or tracking, they do delivery confirmation numbers.
They never say those numbers are for tracking, just for confirming delivery.
By only scanning at delivery they are fulfilling the bare min. requirements.

That makes perfectly good sense to me Sermed. Good points. :thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
There used to be a site that would show you the mail routes that packages took.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
The DC service you pay for at the counter (or get for FREE with C & S) is just that ... DELIVERY CONFIRMATION ... nothing more. In fact, a small number of my packages over the years did not even show the package as delivered in their system. This is why I actually prefer to use C&S - so I don't have to pay for this somewhat unreliable service.

The USPS never had and will probably never will have an actual "package tracking" system in place. If you need this, you will need to ship via FedEx, DHL or UPS ... and then pray that the gorilla package handlers will not decide to use your box for replacement wheel chocks on their 767.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Probably posted with more annoyance than necessary. A result of finding that packages aren't scanned in unless taken to the counter and the rather annoying customer service call with the UPSP. "I got better..."