What's new

Transfers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The transfer protocol helps the power schools and the best athletes but really screws the smaller schools. LSU (wide receiver U) just picked up CJ Daniels from Liberty

Kind of like NFL free agency without multi-year contracts. Getting 5 year athletes while losing junior and seniors , and some sophs? to the draft.

Thoughts on the transfer protocol?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@highsierrasmokin'

I think the big difference is that the Supreme Court decided athletes can now be openly paid by sponsors and boosters. Large schools have big athletic donors and lots of money to throw around. It used to be against NCAA schools to provide anything other then tuition, room and board, maybe a part time summer job.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@highsierrasmokin'

I think the big difference is that the Supreme Court decided athletes can now be openly paid by sponsors and boosters. Large schools have big athletic donors and lots of money to throw around. It used to be against NCAA schools to provide anything other then tuition, room and board, maybe a part time summer job.
I think schools like Liberty should be Division 2 or maybe a division 1b should be created. The power 5(now power 4) conferences should be the only division 1 teams.
Liberty never should have played Oregon as the score shows. Alabama playing Mercer this year was another joke and a waste of time for both teams.
Bama should have played Washington St., Arizona, Texas Tech, etc....
Those 3-4 non conference games should all be mixed with other power 4 teams imho. Imo this is the only way to truly rank these teams.
As far as the money goes, I think things will be the way they've always been. The big teams like Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon etc will always get the top players regardless.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Big schools tromping over smaller schools is $ in the bank for the small schools. Helps keep their programs alive.

How many bowls had teams with less then winning records this year. Kind of silly. Also need to find a way to keep the athletes and coaches committed to the team until the season, including bowl games, is over.

The State of Alabama had three bowl games played in one weekend, there again, money for the programs. What kind of reward is it for an athlete to go to Mobile, Montgomery or Birmingham for a bowl game?

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What kind of reward is it for an athlete to go to Mobile, Montgomery or Birmingham for a bowl game?
Hmm no State of Alabama defenders?
They can purchase and take home the best fireworks in the nation???
Honestly I don't know.
Why would anybody defend or not defend the state of Bama?
The conversation deepens....:LOL:

Big schools tromping over smaller schools is $ in the bank for the small schools.
How much money does the small team get when those games are played at the big schools stadium? Where does this money come from?
Seems bizarre that those games are setup just for money.
Why not start a preseason then??? 3-4 weeks in August. The big school can use it's 2nd/3rd string.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gate and in the rare instance reciprocal games . Army and Georgia State each made 1.6 million to play at LSU When there is a reciprocol game it's usually in a larger stadium. I remember Tulane selling out the old Tulane stadium 70,000 plus and the Superdome when they played LSU. LSU gave up the games because most of the people going where LSU fans and their money went to Tulane. In the 50s Tulane was usually rank nationally and the rivalry made economic sense for both teams.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Gate and in the rare instance reciprocal games . Army and Georgia State each made 1.6 million to play at LSU When there is a reciprocol game it's usually in a larger stadium. I remember Tulane selling out the old Tulane stadium 70,000 plus and the Superdome when they played LSU. LSU gave up the games because most of the people going where LSU fans and their money went to Tulane. In the 50s Tulane was usually rank nationally and the rivalry made economic sense for both teams.
Speaking of Tulane....They really stepped it up big time this year! They were in the picks multiple times this season. I really enjoyed watching them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tulane had a very good coach Willie Fritz that is now 1st year at Houston and they picked up some good college level talent. There again the problem is the small schools are stepping stones to larger programs for good coaches. They are always trying to find that next unpolished diamond. One of the reasons I liked watching Tulane is they where respectful of the game. Not a lot of dancing in the endzone, handing the ball to the line judge after a play etc.