What's new

Travel and Cigars

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I just got a call from Jeff in Hawaii, (bastid), and he mentioned that he was having a hell of a time but his cigars were not performing. Hard to keep lit, tunneling, poor taste. Now like me, he travels with premium stuff. I have ad the same problem after flying places. Anyone else notice this. Maybe the change in air, the humidity, I dont know. THey just dont seem to travel.

How about you guys?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Might have something to do with the pressure on the airplane if they are underneath.

It also could be do to the drastic changes the cigars go through. IE, Cali to HI, different types of weather all in a day.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mine were fine going from Salt Lake to Southern Cal in early May and then Salt Lake to Phoenix in late May.

When I went to Southern Cal, they were packed in my carry-on luggage, when I went to Phoenix, they rode in my luggage under the plane. I used my 15 count travel humidor that I purchased from Ron at cigarsolutions on both occasions.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Usually the only time I have problems with travelling is breaking the seal on my otterbox. Damn thing pressurizes and it's a bitch to open.

I've had a problem once when going from Indy to Texas. I just left my Otter open for a day and then all was fine.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Never had any problems here!
Brought cigars from 7200 feet at my house to sea level on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean and they were fine. I just pack 'em in a caddy with a 65&#37; Boveda and they smoke like a charm every time! Maybe I just get lucky, or am too drunk to notice!

TYLER

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fly a fair amount and have never had that kind of problem. Maybe the traveldor is over-humidified...?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I fly a fair amount and have never had that kind of problem. Maybe the traveldor is over-humidified...?
Thats what I told Jeff. Dry out his beads and put them back in the travel humi. He doesnt travel with a hygrometer so its a guessing game.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
That would be my first thought. If they are kept at home at one humi (say 62-65) and for traveling you through them into a travel 'dore with a standard humidification device with PG which kicks the humi in the 'dore to say 70, they could have more moisture on the outer layers of the sticks, but the core filler is still at 62-65...... :dunno:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overhumidity could be the problem. Remember that (good) traveldors are airtight and generally pretty small. A drop or two of H2O goes a LONG way in those puppies. A lot of people don't even use any humidification if they are just going away for a week or two.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am going to Maui in 11 days, I will let you guys know how my cigars smoked while I am laying on the beach, sit on the balcony and relax my butt off. it'll be great:waving:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I am going to Maui in 11 days, I will let you guys know how my cigars smoked while I am laying on the beach, sit on the balcony and relax my butt off. it'll be great:waving:
Same response I gave to Jeff...:tongueout

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I wondering if it is how it is packed, I did notice that the cigars that were not wraped, did burn a lil slow, and not a good ash, and had to relite.... Now last couple days I've been doing my AF King B's and other AF's and they have been out standing...I'm using a New Traveling Humi w/puck and the temp is a lil high @ 71 and 70&#37; but any of the cigars that were wraped seem to be a lil less trouble IMHO......