What's new

Traveling coast to coast on Tuesday - Accessory help

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions. First off I will be taking my colibri lighter with me in my checked luggage my local B&M gave me one of those free yellow DOT/FAA approved travel canisters when I bought my Forenza. I don't want to risk that getting stolen so I will not take it with me but the colibri instead, I also heard I could I could travel with it full of butane. My second question is about my xikar pull punch. would I be able to travel with this on my keychain or should I put it in my checked bag as well. I also got a cigar caddy but only bought a 2 stick one which i regret. I think I at least should have bought a 10 stick case or 5. My thoughts when I bought the 2 cigar caddy would be for traveling to hang out with the guys and be able to have nice safe smokes. Please advise as I've never traveled with any of this stuff before.
:eyebrow:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
No problem with the cutter. Buy a small tupperware container that will hold a dozen sticks and throw in a boveda pack or a sponge. Use that to hold cigars and when you go out use the twofer. Pick up a nice Bic. Done.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
By the way: DO NOT TAKE A TORCH! EVEN LESS BUTANE! Carry on doesn't allow for any torch and the butane cannot come with ye. At all.

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
No problem with the cutter. Buy a small tupperware container that will hold a dozen sticks and throw in a boveda pack or a sponge. Use that to hold cigars and when you go out use the twofer. Pick up a nice Bic. Done.
That is a great idea! I'm thinking maybe a 70% boveda since airplanes are pretty dry.

By the way: DO NOT TAKE A TORCH! EVEN LESS BUTANE! Carry on doesn't allow for any torch and the butane cannot come with ye. At all.
Not even with the tranzpak. Does anyone have the regulations saying it's ok. I was on the TSA site and couldn't find anything.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That is a great idea! I'm thinking maybe a 70% boveda since airplanes are pretty dry.

Not even with the tranzpak. Does anyone have the regulations saying it's ok. I was on the TSA site and couldn't find anything.
You can pack it but not carry and never with fuel.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just got back from a trip to Miami a couple weeks ago and this was my experience:

- Torch lighter can be packed in checked luggage in yellow tranzpak; I talked to a couple TSA people and they both told me different stories. One said if the torch has fuel it has to be paked in a DOT aproved containe (Tranzpak), another person told me that since torch lighters are banned they have to be empty AND in a DOT container/Tranzpak.

- Be cautious with your smokes, carry them on, a buddy of mine who works w/ an airlines said sometimes the baggage handlers get sticky fingers - I had no problem when
I carried mine on.

- Only lighter you can take carry-on is a soft-flame that buns fluid, not butane.

- Any type of cigar cutter except scissors is fine to take carry-on.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Dude, the 18 count cigar caddy from Cigar Solutions is a great value, and you'll have a pressure release valve to help open it when you get there. You may need a cro-bar to open those packs with out the release valve. Took me quite a bit of effort to get my 5 stick open after just driving home from the local mountains and they are only 7000 ft.

sportsmedjosh

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just got back from a trip to Miami a couple weeks ago and this was my experience:

- Torch lighter can be packed in checked luggage in yellow tranzpak; I talked to a couple TSA people and they both told me different stories. One said if the torch has fuel it has to be paked in a DOT aproved containe (Tranzpak), another person told me that since torch lighters are banned they have to be empty AND in a DOT container/Tranzpak.

- Be cautious with your smokes, carry them on, a buddy of mine who works w/ an airlines said sometimes the baggage handlers get sticky fingers - I had no problem when
I carried mine on.

- Only lighter you can take carry-on is a soft-flame that buns fluid, not butane.

- Any type of cigar cutter except scissors is fine to take carry-on.
Did you take your lighter with fuel in it.

Dude, the 18 count cigar caddy from Cigar Solutions is a great value, and you'll have a pressure release valve to help open it when you get there. You may need a cro-bar to open those packs with out the release valve. Took me quite a bit of effort to get my 5 stick open after just driving home from the local mountains and they are only 7000 ft.
Great advice.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No. I went o a shop when I got to Florida, got a cigar from them and asked them if they could fill the lighter. It was no problem.

I took my 30ct. Xikar case, packed my Palio in it, carried it on, stashed my Blazer lighter, less butane, and had no problems.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I followed the advice I recieved here when I travelled:
1) Carry on your smokes.
2) Carry a cheap cutter
3) Buy a Bic lighter at your destination.

Regarding expensive cutters and lighters. You may be correct, but your chances of convincing a TSA agent that THEY are wrong and making your flight are mutually exclusive.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think you can take any soft flame lighter. A bic uses butane and they are fine.
*Refillable lighter carry-on is a no-no. Sorry for the mix-up, you're correct.

----------

I agree, arguing with TSA agent results in nothing but a headache. When I went I took a $15 Blazer lighter just in case - worked out though.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have had amazingly good luck and walked on after putting a torch through the scanner in plain sight and then I have had cutters pulled for no reason. According to my relative who works there, the TSA gets over 200 new regulations a month and sometimes more every week handed down by the higher ups. They spend countless hours trying to keep up with the bullshit. They deal with people that every day try and do something stupid like handguns, dynamite, gun powder poision.

All I can say is try and give them a break. Taking a small cutter and Bic will not kill you for one trip. If you are going for an extended period, mail it ahead empty or pick up a $5.00 torch at any liquor store.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Man I'm sure they go through hell putting up with attitudes.

I watched a guy get loud with a TSA guy because he was asked to ste aside to be more thoroughly searched...the guy had a pistol holster on his belt.