What's new

Traveling with lighters/cigars

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven't researched this topic to much but what do you guys do when you are flying?

Cigars in a collar case... Check

Cutters are approved by tsa...?

What about lighters? Should I leave mine at home and just bum it at b&m's? Torches are a no-no but soft flames lighters are ok? How about th colibri's tsa approved lighter case?

Thanks

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I chuck my xikar torch in the colibri case when I fly. Only had an issue with it at one airport with a doucher TSA agent. Don't take a lighter you aren't willing to lose, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Djeep's are great for travel. If they get pinched you are out about $3. I don't fly a lot, but thus far I've never had one taken. I don't check bags unless I'm traveling with golf clubs.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Was just researching this for my vacation in September. According to the TSA website soft flame lighters are okay if they are either empty or in an approved container (if they have fluid) if they're in checked luggage. Carry on it okay, still I wouldn't pack anything you'd not be comfortable loosing. My plan is this:

Going to fill up both my 5 count cigar cases and they'll go in the checked luggage. Going to be traveling with a 3 y/o and a newborn so will need all the carry on room for items for them.

Still up in the air on the cutter. May buy a cheap-o from the B&M for my trip and if it get's lost or taken big whoop. I also may not pack a cutter. I have a punch on my key ring so that would suffice for most stuff and then I wouldn't have to worry about keeping track of my cutter.

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I never check bags but most of my trips are short business trips, 4 days tops. I usually just scope out how close i am to a local, clip the sticks I'm taking ahead of time, and pack some matches. Most vacations the last few years I've traveled by car or boat so packing lighters and cutters hasn't been an issue. Just pack some you would care about losing!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
never have an issue with a cutter in carryon or check. most flights I have two cutters and a couple boxes of matches (technically you're only supposed to have one box of matches, though)

that said, I still travel with cheapies... never know if you may run across a rogue TSA employee on a bad day

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I travel with a snaplock (tupperware) container in my carry on luggage that holds up to 15 cigars. I used to use a travel humidor (Cigar Mechanic) but it did not hold the humidity very well. I'll post pics of the snaplock later for your reference.

I will generally also carry on a cutter and a punch... I have never had an issue with them being confiscated but bring along the low cost ones just in case I ever do.

For lighters I carry 2 Ronson Jetlights in a Colibri Transpack case that goes in my check-in luggage. Since I generally travel with tool samples I need to check luggage anyway. I have only been doing this for 3-4 months but have not had any issues to date.The Ronsons are only $2.86 at Wally Mart so it is no big deal if I need to replace them. I also carry a Djeep soft flame lighter with me as a backup. TSA policy has changed in the last couple of years and they no longer prohibit butane soft flame lighters in your carry-on luggage.

BTW If you are looking for a Colibri Transpack, you can usually get them pretty cheap on Cbid. I picked mine up for $3.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Oh. Missed the part about cutters. Last time I looked-the TSA said cigar cutters are allowed. I always have one in my laptop bag. Only had issues with it once, in another country.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I personally never had any issues flying with lighters. I put them all in my xikar case, cutters, cigars, torch lighters then pack in check in luggage. If you are not checking in luggage then stick to regular flame lighters. You can even walk through most scanners with bic lighters in your pocket.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had problems with lighters on a carry on. I've also had problems with cutters on a carry-on. I forgot I had it in my pocket. Tried to put it in my carry on. Wouldn't let me do it. Had to check it as luggage. When I landed at my final destination, I had to wait for my cutter to show up on the turnstile in a huge manilla envelope.

I check cutters and lighters (I take a bic or something else cheap) in my luggage. Haven't had a problem with that yet.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Colibri Transpack r great , just watch out , I've lost mine a couple time (Both time in CA at lil Regional Airports) , like TravelingJ say "Don't take a lighter you aren't willing to lose", but it shouldn't be an issue.
I travel with my 35 count xikar case and normally a 5 or 2 count and a bic lighter, all in carry on, how ever i do carry the transpack in check baggage .......

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
This is directly from the TSA website.

Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.

Bottom line, if you're looking for the letter of the law, you aren't allowed to carry on a torch, and you're not allowed to check one either. If you aren't willing to lose your lighter, you're really best leaving it at home. I lost one a couple years ago, but it was a CI freebie, so I didn't really care. For me, I never, ever check my smokes, and always check my cutter. Smokes stay with me, and it has been my experience that once a screener sees the travel humi, they tend to look for a lighter or a cutter until they find one. If they'll take a pair of nail clippers from a Soldier carrying an M16, (and they will), they'll take a cutter.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I carry my cigars in a Xikar travel case and a leather 3finger case. I have traveled with many different cutters and have only had ithem questioned once in about 200 trips (Panama City, FL airport). I often take several as I give them away as I had some custom made with my company logo on them. I travel with a cheap torch lighter that is mostly plastic and turn the flame all the way down. I put it in my liquids ziplock Baggie and have yet to have an issue. I think that it must look like a small bottle of cologne. Most B&B stores will fill you up for free if you need a refill. Good luck and happy travels.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
TSA is "iffy" at best with any kind of lighter so I stopped bringing my good lighters with me after one was confiscated...Xikar Exodus soft flame...the moron said it was a jet light because of the ignition on it...sheeeeesh. I got tired of arguing with this brainiac so he's got a new lighter now. Just buy a bic when you get to your destination.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it all depends on the tsa inspector, i have lost lighter and cutters alike but i planned ahead and carried throw aways so i wasnt at too big a loss, but if your like myself i hate getting beat out of anything
happy trails

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I fly all the time. I also only shave with a straight razor so I'm always checking a bag. Ergo, all my cigar stuff goes in checked baggage.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
750 mile drive today. Threads like this remind me why I prefer to drive everywhere, and do anything I can to avoid flying.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
750 mile drive today. Threads like this remind me why I prefer to drive everywhere, and do anything I can to avoid flying.
You got that right...I travel a lot as it is but I'm always figuring out the best way from Point A to Z and that means bringing along all of my cigar stuff...lighter, cutter, holder, etc. We leave from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale quite a bit so we drive there. When we go to Hawaii by way of Calif. then I'll just pack all of the stuff in my checked luggage...so far they don't mess with it but I have heard horror stories about TSA getting into checked bags anyway for spot checks..which they are going to do. Just don't bring something that you can't afford to lose.