Trinidad Reyes

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Mfg.: Trinidad
Vitola: Reyes
Size: 4.3" x 40
Smoke time: 45 mins
Construction: Good, firm feel, oily + toothy wrapper
Draw: Excellent ... tons of thick smoke.
Burn: Erratic
Ash: Battleship grey w/black.

Description:
1st Third - Smooth woody flavors with a razor sharp burn. Mild/medium strength.
2nd Third - Still a core of wood, but with hints of toasted nuts. The burn is becoming erratic - might be due to the outside humidity. Solid medium strength.
3rd Third - Add occasional chocolate flavors now. I've had to correct the burn twice already and at the band the cigar is beginning to tunnel badly, so I let it go out.

Summation: This was my first Reyes and I really enjoyed the flavors. This is a good size for those who prefer shorter smokes. I believe the burn problems were more related to environment that any construnction shortcomings. Storage was at 64% and my smoking location was 80% humidity ... so I'm sure the wrapper was absorbing water, thus making it harder to burn. I'll save the other one I have for inside smoking or better weather.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Good review - I think your description was right on. Good Trini tobacco flavor thoughout. Lots of wood ... not the dry cedar woody flavor of a ERDM CS ... more of a damp musky woody flavor.

You're probably right about the humidity and burn problem. I've never had a construction/burn issue with any of the Trinis.

DocRKS

Herf Doctor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm glad you had a good experience with these. I recently sampled some from a JUL 04 box - and it was one of the most lifeless, flat and tasteless cigars I had all last year. Shared some of these with 2 VERY Knowledgeable and Experienced Habana lovers and all 3 of us came to the same conclusion - these sticks were almost unsmokeable.
The rest of the box is going away for a LONG nap. I hope these eventually come around as this has been an atypical experience with the Trini line for me. [-o<

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
DocRKS said:
I'm glad you had a good experience with these. I recently sampled some from a JUL 04 box - and it was one of the most lifeless, flat and tasteless cigars I had all last year. Shared some of these with 2 VERY Knowledgeable and Experienced Habana lovers and all 3 of us came to the same conclusion - these sticks were almost unsmokeable.
The rest of the box is going away for a LONG nap. I hope these eventually come around as this has been an atypical experience with the Trini line for me. [-o<
I'm suprised you had this experience, not questioning it however. Was this the only box of Reyes you have tried? I've been gifted some and bought a box of my own and have not had this happen. Maybe just a bad box???

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
DocRKS said:
I had a similiar experience. A local BOTL gifted me a single presentation (cardboard) of the Trinidad Reyes and it was absolutely unbelievable. Started off spicy as heck and delicious throughout.

I buy a box of them - and nothing near what I experienced before. Bummer :(

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The last Reyes I had was from Apr 04 and it had a slight orange spice flavor.
Great little stick, not sure it'll dethrone the Sig I in the expensive little stick category.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Great review!

Just had one of these a few days ago, thanks to Tubaman, and it was great! Post-cancer, this is about the only size Habanos I can handle, but that's OK, if they all taste like the Reyes! :smile:

Cigar_Ben

NiceTightAsh.com
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I haven't had one of these yet. I only have one Trinadad and its the Funadore. I'll have to try that out and see what the Trinadad flavor is like and then get some Reyes. I'm starting to get more into the smaller smokes.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
DocRKS said:
I just had a Reyes last night, and I had the same experience for the first time from my box. Must be hitting a sick period. But just like you noted Roman, bland and not at all enjoyable. I'll put mine at the bottom of the cooler for until next winter.