What's new

Trying night cap for first time

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I'm puffing on nightcap tonight.

It's very similar to the ms river I had last night but without the sweetness.

I was expecting something crazy with this blend from all the reviews but I didn't get that. Spicy retro hale which I really like. Reminds me of a strong Nicaraguan.

This is very nice blend I just think I'd rather take MS river over this.

What is your take on nightcap vs MS River??

We'll see how much nicotine is in this though. MS was rather light on the Bic side for me.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Son of a bitch. I can't stop puffing on this.

Nic Rush is wonderful too.

Wow.

I hope piping doesn't take over my cigar consumption but that is what is quickly happening! At least it's cheaper per smoke :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call :)
The MS river and nightcap just seem too similar. Tough to make the call on which to buy in bulk first!

What is your typical "bulk" purchase? 4 oz? 8oz?
My typical bulk purchase is around $100 so I can get free shipping. :D

When I started out I didn't purchase more than 4 oz of any one tobacco. I mixed and matched to see what was out there first.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I wouldn't go overboard on the bulk if your just starting out. Nightcap is readily available anywhere and MS river is usually, watch me eat those words, in stock at P&C. The reason I say this is because my tastes changed faster with pipe baccy that they ever did with cigars.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Yeah, probably feel it out in smaller amounts as your tastes will change and there are an infinite amount of blends that you'll want to try but you'll never be able to try all of...
Kind of like how people say to buy singles, then fivers, multiple times over, before you buy boxes of cigars.
That's what I say. What I do? Buy enough to get the best pricing and free shipping! I'm kind of a 'go big or go home' type of person. And the MS River? I'm looking at buying the 5lb bulk the next time there's a 20-25% off sale...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Interesting stuff, thanks guys. I know my tastes pretty well, but can't argue with you veterans. I'll keep the purchases small and just sample as much as I can for the time being.

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff, thanks guys. I know my tastes pretty well, but can't argue with you veterans. I'll keep the purchases small and just sample as much as I can for the time being.

Thanks!
I think the advice the veterans have given is rock solid. Following their advice, I purchased some 25 or so different blends in 4oz tins. That's a pretty large swath, but I am glad I purchased them. First, I have a little variety which I'll always want to support my mood, and second, it allowed me to begin to educate myself as to what it is I really enjoy out of a blend. The subtleties between similar blends will eventually become apparent as you as you explore.

All said and done - you'll figure it out pretty quickly. I know I have already begun to reach for the same blends over and over... which ultimately led me to buy extra stock in my Dunhill collection :).

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Yeah, probably feel it out in smaller amounts as your tastes will change and there are an infinite amount of blends that you'll want to try but you'll never be able to try all of...
Kind of like how people say to buy singles, then fivers, multiple times over, before you buy boxes of cigars.
That's what I say. What I do? Buy enough to get the best pricing and free shipping! I'm kind of a 'go big or go home' type of person. And the MS River? I'm looking at buying the 5lb bulk the next time there's a 20-25% off sale...
I think we're brothers from another mother

I buy this at 1-2lb at a time but always seem to be gifting it out

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If I bought 5 lbs of MS River I'd likely just dump it on my bed and spend 30 minutes rolling around in it. It's like catnip for men.

I mean, you guys do that too, right? Right?

But I am a huge fan of both Nightcap and MS River. They're different enough for me that they each have their place. MS River is great with a cup of coffee because the sweetness pairs nicely with the bitterness of the coffee. On the other hand, after a full meal, Nightcap (or other English blends with strong Latakia) pair well with an after-dinner digestif on the patio.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have 12 samples of baccy in my mason jars, nothing more than 2 oz so far until I narrow down what I'll like and don't like. No sense in me rambling on anymore as it's already covered by the BOTL piper vets here.