What's new

Tube storage

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've spent the last 3 months searching for a paticular smoke for the "old" price. Finally...after 3 months and eleventy billion clicks later, found them.

They aren't anything grand, ain't pretty either, but at $2.10 a tube, they are the best daily smoke a guy could ask for. I'm just waiting for confirmation on stock right now as to how many boxes the guy has before I pull the trigger.

All this leads up to my next question. Do you need to humidify tubed cigars as you would loose cigars? How good is the seal on a tube? I have a small cooler that I was going to dedicate to just the tubes (atleast 3-4 boxes) so I don't know how passive the humidifaction needs to be in the cooler. It's about the size of a 150ct. traditional humi , top opening stand up cooler.

Would you toss in a small Viper tube or actually humidify the cooler like I would for boxes?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'd have the tubes in a humidified environment. When I get tubes, I usually leave the top off for about a month and then put it back on. I leave it off so it can get acclimated to my humidor.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My thinking is that the cigars are produced and then packaged and stored with the caps on in a controlled environment so that's the way that I keep them.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
windowrx said:
My thinking is that the cigars are produced and then packaged and stored with the caps on in a controlled environment so that's the way that I keep them.
But the caps are night air tight and who knows how they were stored prior to getting to you. My thought for taking the cap off is to get the cigar back to the right RH IF it was not stored properly prior to reaching my humidor...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Yeah...I see what your saying. It's like you realize your answer right after you submit your posted question.

Should the optimum rh level be lower because metal has that tendency to sweat? Say around 60-65%?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
caudio51 said:
But the caps are night air tight and who knows how they were stored prior to getting to you. My thought for taking the cap off is to get the cigar back to the right RH IF it was not stored properly prior to reaching my humidor...
I believe that Habanos S.A. has some requirements for how their licensed dealers/distributors store cigars and trust that my sources understand the importance of a controlled environment. Besides, as you mentioned, the caps are not airtight so if the cigars were not at the optimum level when I recieved them the humidity would equalize slowly between the tube and humi anyway.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
windowrx said:
I believe that Habanos S.A. has some requirements for how their licensed dealers/distributors store cigars and trust that my sources understand the importance of a controlled environment. Besides, as you mentioned, the caps are not airtight so if the cigars were not at the optimum level when I recieved them the humidity would equalize slowly between the tube and humi anyway.
I didn't know that they had requirments like that. Very nice to know.