What's new

Tubos-airtight question

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK. Those of us that have experience with Tubos are familiar with the note on the side of most about the smokes staying fresh until opened. Any definitive info on how airtight they really are? From the one's I've had I just don't know that they are really all that airtight. Alot more than a stick out in the open, and probably more so than sticks in a cab, but actually airtight? I'm curious. Thoughts?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No cork seal on any I've had. Aluminum body, aluminum cap, screwed together. :dunno: The most I've ever noticed is that there might be a line of glue or some kind of...hell I don't know...something as most seem to have a line of discoloration around the tube where the cap screws on.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The discoloration you notice is veg. gum (same stuff they use on the sticks and bands) residue, they use it as a seal to help prolong the freshness. As you might guess it's only a temporary fix. If you have ever had one that hasn't been stored properly with any age at all you know what I mean. IMO what tubes do best is protect the cigar wrapper from external damage.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tubes are not airtight. They are not designed to be. They let minimal amounts of air in. Thus, slowing the aging process. Thus, a better Habano.