What's new

Tubos

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was reading that when you buy a box of tubos that you should remove the sticks from the tube before putting them in your humidor due to the fact that they are great for transporting them but they don't age well. What do you do? Leave em in or take em out?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would question the purpose of spending extra to purchase tubos only to take them out. I've only bought one box of tubos and they are staying in the tubes. There are plenty of brothers with way more experience than me. I'm sure a few will weigh in.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Any thread I have found here it's almost unanimous that tubos age fantastic. That's what I am banking on. I have to wait 18 more months to find out for myself.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is an excerpt from "The Cigar" by Barnaby Conrad III, a book I just read.
uploadfromtaptalk1448673410073.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I typically remove the cedar rolls in the tubos, but I'm very cedarphobic. Otherwise, why not leave them in there?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I had 2012 PirEx both tubo and non tubo. The tubo version were light years better than the ones that came in 10ct box.

Let's just say I still have one kind to enjoy but not the other and it's not because I smoked them all

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tube is hermetically sealed (like most glass tubes) I leave it in. If it's just a screw on aluminum tube I take em out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was what what others thought on this...

I just bought some RyJ Vintages in tubes. They are the glass tubes and have a cork sealing it. There is wrapper over the cork, so I suspect you'll damage the wrapper (not a huge deal) to unseal these. I've not come across tubos with cork as the seal. Usually it's the aluminum tubes with a screw top or glass (plastic) with a plastic top that pushes in.

The box I received came had 4 or the 12 with mold. I've spoken to the place I purchased these from and they are sending a new box. If there are some with mold on those, I can mix/mash so that I'll have a complete box without mold. The I can send the original back. This was the first time I've ever ordered something with mold on it. It's also been very hot these last few days here and I wonder if that effected these or it was the tubes.

In any case, should I open them even with a cork sealing? Typically with tubes, I leave the stick in the tube but open the top. Luckily, I've never had an issue going this way. These corks present a unique challenge. Here's a pic for reference.

Also, this was an interesting box. Came with a xikar crystal humidifier and meant to be a humidor.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My only question is how would you inspect them without opening the cork and making them "un-sellable" by the vendor? Most people on the forum would tell you to wipe the mold off the smokes and put them back in proper humidity and temperature. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get better advise from someone that has had this problem.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question is how would you inspect them without opening the cork and making them "un-sellable" by the vendor? Most people on the forum would tell you to wipe the mold off the smokes and put them back in proper humidity and temperature. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get better advise from someone that has had this problem.
They're glass tubes so part of the cigar is visible. See the attached (it's a little hard with glare, but there's some on the bottom tip). There were a few in the bunch that were moldy. I couldn't inspect the foot, which is the most important part, but seeing as there were so many in the batch this why, I figured I wouldn't even bother.

Normally, I would just wipe and move on. But since these came that way, I don't think I needed to accept that (especially considering the excessive amounts of money I spend with this retailer )

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Makes sense to me!! Especially if they are willing to take them back without a lot of hemming and hawing!