What's new

Tupperware vs. Desktop Humidor

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I currently have my primary smoking stash (about 1/3 - 1/2 of my total collection) in a medium sized desktop humidor. The rest is spread across a few tupperware, and an old glass-top that keeps very poor humidity. My ultimate goal is to move to a small cabinet, but that's off limits for now.

My question... is there any reason to keep fighting with that old glass-top, rather than just move the entire extended collection to tupperware? It seems like the tupperware hold humidity perfectly even with a very small humidification element. Is there anything I'm really gaining by leaving some of the collection in wood?

Ideally I'd rather keep the main stash in the good desktop, and just drop the rest into tupperdors. It'd free up a bunch of humidification gizmos that could probably be doing a better job in the main humidor. Am I making a big mistake here?

Thanks for any opinions.

-Charles

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Chaz, nothing at all wrong with moving your cigars into the tupperadors.

For years, men have been buying more tupperware than women....we gotta keep our cigars in perfect smoking condition without spending an arm and leg for the storage....more money for buying more cigars, right!

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
As for using tupperware-a-dors, is there a difference between leaving your sticks IN their boxes or taking them out? Is it preferable to put them in ziplocs?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
As for using tupperware-a-dors, is there a difference between leaving your sticks IN their boxes or taking them out? Is it preferable to put them in ziplocs?
No reason to place them in ziplocs!

Leave them in the boxes, I even take the cello off, but that's just me.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Thanks guys. Figured it should be fine, but experienced advice always makes me feel a better.

I'm so sick of fighting with this old humidor. I suspect the 4 different humidification gizmos I have crammed in there will do me a whole lot more good in tupperware, and in the bottom of my main humidor.

Now I just need to find some more tupperware. :)

-Charles

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chaz, nothing at all wrong with moving your cigars into the tupperadors.

For years, men have been buying more tupperware than women....we gotta keep our cigars in perfect smoking condition without spending an arm and leg for the storage....more money for buying more cigars, right!
Amen Larry and what Ron said about putting cedar in them to draw from is right on the mark. I keep 4 RubberMaid humis with a capacity of 150 in each and they keep great RH at 68%. For a price tag of $8 per RubberMaid it let me buy a lot more cigars. Just don't buy pink tupperware,,that would be wrong on all levels.:eyebrow:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always playing with Tupperware storage containers, great place to stash singles, or the few left in a box that takes up too much room, etc.

Also a nice place to hold sticks I get from sources that are not as trusted,trade items, etc.

One of these was an experiment using beads and a couple of fans to circulate humid air to the upper container where the cigars are layered wit strips of cedar wood harvested from old boxes. It's not full at the moment......

The other is a vintage Tupperware bread box that holds quite a few singles and fits nicely on the top shelf of my wine frig. when the weather around here gets into the 90-100's.

Tupperware is a (cigar-smoking) man's best friend!

Attachments

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Usually you can grab small pieces from local B&Ms. You should be able to get enough for a small container relatively easily.

CheapHumidors

Your resident HumiDork
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol although I obviously prefer the desktop humidors for their form and function and relatively low price points, I never cease to be amazed by the inventiveness and creativity of you guys knocking out these custom made Tupper-dors.

:tiphat: rock on lol