What's new

Turning a profit from a hobby

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been awhile since I have posted, but I’m still rolling And loving every minute. Just wondering if any of you have tried making some profit from your cigars? I’m currently thinking of starting a small business to sell cigars. I have looked into the FDA regulations and that may be the limiting factor for if I go through or not. How have the rest of you gone about it? Any recommendations?

- CASTROL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current plan is nothing big, just local sales and hitting up the events in the town circle. Enough to cover the hobby and a little extra.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has their own viewpoint. Here's mine: I enjoy rolling cigars when I'm in the mood. When I'm not in the mood I do something else. If it were a profit seeking business it would cease to be fun. I already have a job. I roll in the evenings to relax.
Sorry if I sound a bit snippy, but every time I share a home roll with a BOTL they always regale me with tales of how much money I cold make by selling them. I just smile and nod nonchalantly. They don' really understand. Hoping some of the brothers here might have a better perspective.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree that trying to profitize the hobby could remove some of the fun, which is why I was considering a sole proprietorship in order to handle everything at my own pace. My biggest thing is that since I share my homerolls so often, I have many people asking to purchase. Thus the idea of
A:protecting myself under any applicable laws
And
B: reducing the cost of the hobby or potentially allowing some expansion.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with trading in kind. I'll give you 4 home rolls if you pick up my bar tab this evening. However, once you replace good will and brotherhood with cash, the equation changes. In my occupation, I provide services to a variety of clients. If a friend asked me to do a favor using my professional skills, I'd gladly oblige, because he's a friend. However, if that same person asked me to perform the same tasks at a pay rate below my usual fee, I'd feel taken advantage of. That's why I would prefer to trade or give away sticks than sell them. Money changes the equation. I value my friends more than the revenue that could be generated.