What's new

Type of Cut vs. Taste

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight cut, vee, punch, other... Does it affect taste or is it just a look or mouthfeel issue?

I normally punch at home, vee at the cigar lounge. Did a straight cut at home tonight, first in months, on a cigar that I had not previously liked, and it tasted better than my normal punch. Real, coincidence, or alcohol biased?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Normally I look at the cap. Sometimes a cap will be poorly applied and I'll punch a cigar to keep it from unraveling on me but normally it's just a plain old guillotine cut. I think the flat cut allows for an easier draw and cooler smoke but mileage will vary and everyone has their preferences. I just have a mental issue with putting a V-cut cigar in my mouth.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I like a v cut, as it seems to help with draw sometimes, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

I'm voting for off stick, or off palate at the time. But I could be way off...

Next time start with a v and then follow with a straight and see if you notice a difference. (y)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well Punch v/s Straight, v/s "V" is like another great debate. I have all three, mostly go with a Straight Cut, because it seems to work. Honestly IMHO it is personal preference.:cigar:

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
...for the record, I bite just the tip.

I use a V-Cut. If the draw is still too tight, I X-Cut it. Although, now that I have a perfect draw tool, I never have draw issues.
Biting is old school, it was what most people did before Cutter became inexpensive. I for many year use a serrated blade pocket knife (rescue too)l to make a small "V", thank goodness we have good reasonabally priced cutter today.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
a punch on a large stick will encourage tar to build up around the opening,a nasty taste.
arguably it will reduce the freedom of the draw.
I think the punch was developed for people who are very aware of the mouthfeel of a cigar,or who really , really, do not like the feel of loose threads or leaves.
I have a couple punches that I seldom use,I like to take just the thickness of a leaf or two when cutting.
Leaves the shoulder intact, limits bits of cigar in the mouth.
30 years ago,when smaller rg cigars were the rule,I used a nice little v cutter that I still have.
things have changed.