What's new

ultrasonic cleaner?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I despise cleaning my firearms, especially long guns. At the same time, I expect everything to be immaculate when I'm finished (immaculate = reliable = BANG! ;) ). During my few years as a LEO, the department had some old ultrasonic washers for our .45s and I was always amazed at how clean everything would be after 20 minutes in the tank.

Does anyone own a modern ultrasonic unit? I've never been into reloading, so I don't need to clean brass. That said -- are they a waste of money for one person? I've been looking at the mothership below, mainly because it will clean an entire AR upper. My only concern (other than the price tag :eek: ) is if they're a PIA to own and operate (e.g., draining the used solution); or if there's some other drawback I haven't considered (?)

Thanks in advance! (y)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817430/hornady-lock-n-load-hot-tub-sonic-cleaner-tub-9l-ultrasonic-case-cleaner-110v

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
The only concern should be the price. I use one everyday at work and maintenance is super easy. I believe we paid $3500-4000 but that includes built in heaters which are unnecessary.

Brazos Hunter

The man, the myth, the legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wish I could help. I use a small one to clean brass, never thought about cleaning my weapons with one though. Grant it, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and love to clean them and do my own Smithing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I despise cleaning my firearms, especially long guns. At the same time, I expect everything to be immaculate when I'm finished (immaculate = reliable = BANG! ;) ). During my few years as a LEO, the department had some old ultrasonic washers for our .45s and I was always amazed at how clean everything would be after 20 minutes in the tank.

Does anyone own a modern ultrasonic unit? I've never been into reloading, so I don't need to clean brass. That said -- are they a waste of money for one person? I've been looking at the mothership below, mainly because it will clean an entire AR upper. My only concern (other than the price tag :eek: ) is if they're a PIA to own and operate (e.g., draining the used solution); or if there's some other drawback I haven't considered (?)

Thanks in advance! (y)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817430/hornady-lock-n-load-hot-tub-sonic-cleaner-tub-9l-ultrasonic-case-cleaner-110v
I mean, once you clean the barrel on a long gun anyways, how much extra work is it to clean the bolt? I dont see you fitting the barrel, trigger assembly, and such in that thing. Cleaning brass for reloading? sure. A whole firearm... eh not too much.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Oh and after cleaning you need to use shop air to make sure ALL water is gone. In addition you need to oil the shit out of it because you have removed all residual oils. I only ultrasonic clean my guns once a year because of the oil removal or if my triggers get "gritty".

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Most people can't afford the truly high end components that would allow the cleaner to do its job properly for such a task.
Even if you can, that juice really isn't worth the squeeze. You're better off just using an air compressor to blow out major dirt if you REALLY want to avoid the task.