What's new

Unemployed Need Not Apply

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
As I read this article I considered the effectiveness of making it illegal to state that unemployed persons need not apply. For this would not prevent the discriminatory act from taking place, only from stating it up front.

Article.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, I guess I do not understand the issue with hiring some one who has been out of work....You'd think these would be the people they want, they are at their wits end, and just want to get back on their feet, they will work hard...

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
wow, I didn't even realize this was an issue. I applied for a LOT of jobs but never saw any posting like this. What kind of work is this most prevalent?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
The article actually hints at the government rewarding employers that hire unemployed workers, don't know if I like that!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
This is nothing new. The only thing "new", if it really is, is the fact that employers are being bold enough to put the information out there in ads. There have been studies done that have shown this discrimination takes place and has gotten worse since the economy tanked. I've talked to managers looking to employe people who have flat out stated they don't consider people who are out of work or who have been out of work for some time. Regardless of the reality, they see these people as having something "wrong" with them. Because most of them have not dealt with the issue of being unwillingly unemployed, they can't quite grasp the concept that someone who has been let go might still be a valuable employee.

Let's face it, when you think of a company laying off people, do you not consider that they kept only the best of the best? Regardless of the reality, because as many know that is not the reality in most cases, this is what people assume. So when they see that you have been out of work, they combine that immediate prejudice of, "well, they must have not been kept for SOME reason" along with the fact that they haven't been able to land a job in a short period and in their mind it's a done deal. This person must not be that good of an employee.

Now, there are also practical reasons behind all of this. It doesn't change the fact that it is still based on prejudice, but when an employer is bombarded with literally thousands (if not tens of thousands) of resumes for every position they post, they have to find a quick way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. The fact that they are in fact sorting out some of the best wheat along with the chaff is something they either do not want to face or simply won't believe.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is nothing new. The only thing "new", if it really is, is the fact that employers are being bold enough to put the information out there in ads. There have been studies done that have shown this discrimination takes place and has gotten worse since the economy tanked. I've talked to managers looking to employe people who have flat out stated they don't consider people who are out of work or who have been out of work for some time. Regardless of the reality, they see these people as having something "wrong" with them. Because most of them have not dealt with the issue of being unwillingly unemployed, they can't quite grasp the concept that someone who has been let go might still be a valuable employee.

Let's face it, when you think of a company laying off people, do you not consider that they kept only the best of the best? Regardless of the reality, because as many know that is not the reality in most cases, this is what people assume. So when they see that you have been out of work, they combine that immediate prejudice of, "well, they must have not been kept for SOME reason" along with the fact that they haven't been able to land a job in a short period and in their mind it's a done deal. This person must not be that good of an employee.

Now, there are also practical reasons behind all of this. It doesn't change the fact that it is still based on prejudice, but when an employer is bombarded with literally thousands (if not tens of thousands) of resumes for every position they post, they have to find a quick way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. The fact that they are in fact sorting out some of the best wheat along with the chaff is something they either do not want to face or simply won't believe.
Wow I never looked at it like that....No wonder our economy sucks with big bis thinking like that!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow I never looked at it like that....No wonder our economy sucks with big bis thinking like that!
It's not even really fair to say "big biz" when talking about this. You are dealing more with individuals with personal prejudices. I'm not saying there aren't places with unwritten policies like this, but in general, it's just the guy or gal doing the hiring. Think about it. They put an advert out for an open position and the next thing they know, they are quite literally buried in resumes. Once they discard the true crap (all those people who don't meet even the barest of qualifications), they are still left with a ridiculous number of qualified candidates. They can't interview them all and they have to reduce the number in some form or fashion. This is just one of the easiest possible ways and it fits right into their perception of how the world works.

The only way we will move past this is for the job market to come back in a BIG way. It sucks, it is unfair, and unfortunately, it is what it is. Legislation will change absolutely nothing. In the cases mentioned it will keep them from putting it in the advertisements, but that's not really going to change how they handle the resumes when they arrive.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well at least I know I got an edge over the unemployed if I ever go job hunting!

Seriously though all jokes aside, this is total BS!!

The place I work for just layed off 4 people (dept of 14). 3 of them I understand (they were here the least amount of time, one guy is awesome, and knows just as much as our DBA, he is being let go simply because he is topped out on salary...

My company recently changed CEO's and it's starting to seem like the screws are getting turned on alot of people.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Tis true and the clear message from Employers is they want "employable" people and not those who are somehow 'inferior' and what this does is to send a clear message to 'job jumpers' that there is a place for them to jump to. Employers know that the market place is in disarray and they are looking for self starters who will do what is necessary to get the next best job. Those are already employed are deemed survivors and they want that mentality working for them. It's a dog eat dog environment and much like the Gladiator System in Ancient Rome this is the mentality of the COO's and CEO's when getting their managers to find people.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
My wife has been running up against this in her job search...complete bullshit. I understand the reality of it, but it's still frustrating.

With our country hemorrhaging jobs, I just don't see any way possible that we can turn the economy around. Good thing I like rice & beans!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
My Dad's been unemployed for over two years now. He deals with both this and age discrimination.

The other thing I love is that the government does not even consider my dad as "unemployed.". If you've been out of work for over 6- months, your taken out of the official "unemployment" numbers because it's assumed that if you really wanted a job you'd have one by then. Clearly the government has never heard of a recession!

So just remember that the next time a politician is taking credit for the fact that unemployment numbers didn't rise in a given month--all that means is they stopped counting some people.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Selecting the best candidate sure has turned into difficult proposition; for more than just those looking for good help. Hard to imagine these business practices are good for American society. Though I don't like the idea of government interfering in business, personal or otherwise; it's easy to see why New Jersey created the it's law. Hopefully it helps.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Selecting the best candidate sure has turned into difficult proposition; for more than just those looking for good help. Hard to imagine these business practices are good for American society. Though I don't like the idea of government interfering in business, personal or otherwise; it's easy to see why New Jersey created the it's law. Hopefully it helps.
Sorry to say, but New Jersey's law won't help the problem even a little. All it does is keep employers from ADVERTISING that they only want employed or recently unemployed. To be honest, I would rather we let employers be honest about what they are accepting (even if I think it is awful for them to do so) than to simply push the issue out of sight.

If this is to go away, we need the economy to start producing enough jobs that companies need to hire people from the unemployed pool. No matter how good the economy, some will continue to work this way, at least for some time, but given enough job openings, the practice will die out to a large degree. As Cigary43 mentioned, hiring from only the employeed pool is just job swapping/hopping. At some point one of those empty positions has to lead to a new hire that comes from somewhere other than the already-employed pool.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I agree with Jason. It's the same with age descrimination. Sure no one says that won't hire the 60-year-old when they can hire a 40-year-old, but it's a fact, and it's really hard to prove in court.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I hate to tell you but this is nothing new. Recruiters and job placement experts have always counseled job seekers to make sure that there are no holes in your resume no matter what. In every interview book I have read, every outpalcement I have attended, on both sides of the desk, they always tell you as a manager to ask about the voids and as a potential employee to have a strong answer.

Why is this an issue? Are employers heartless? Employers are concerned that a large amount of time away fromt he work force means that a potential employee will not be up to date with current business practices, software, market conditions etc requiring a substantially longer time to get up to speed. This means it higher employment costs toa business in a time when costs must be cut. A vicious cycle.

What can you do?
1) Volunter. Work with SCORE or with a charity that is close to your former business. Use your time to stay sharp and tuned into the business environment.
2) Get involved in your community. Every community has committees, boards, government oversight groups. Get involved. It will get you out and with other business people. It will also open new networking contacts that can be invaluable
3) Consult. For money or for experience. Utilize your expertise to help start up businesses in your community. Touch base with old merchants or customers to offer your services to help them save money, inprove work cycles, speed up production, reduce costs, negotiate with your old employer. Anything to keep your finger on the pulse of your business

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I don't understand how the law will help any. When you apply for a job you still have to list your job history and right then and there they will be able to throw out your resume if you have not worked in the past 6 months or so. All I see this doing is making it soon to be illegal to ask for your employment history. Some of these laws are really stupid and I don't see how this will help other than just making it illegal to post and ad that says don't apply if you have been out of work for more than 6 months.