What's new

Unhumidified Cigars

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
So I had an interesting experience this summer and wanted to hear y’all’s thoughts on something.

We pulled up to one of the boats that we sell our fish to and it being a nice day their crew was on deck smoking cigars. The captain asked if I wanted one but said they had been sitting on the boat since last summer but not in a humidor and without humidification.

I refused at first but then my curiosity got the better of me and he gave me a handful of Odyssey Habanos.

I was fully prepared for a bitter harsh smoke. I picked it up and it smelled like tobacco and honey, it was an amazing smell. I lit it up and from start to finish it tasted great, sweet creamy with a nice tobacco flavor not a bit of bitterness or harshness. Even more surprising it burned very well, all in all a pleasant surprise!

Thoughts?

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The humidity doesn't naturally run higher on the water? Ever keep a hydrometer on your boat?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah maybe the sea environment and the boat itself cause a humidification effect. Also, since its sea water it would probably be around 65 to 70 rh, simar to when one does a salt saturation calibration on a hygrometer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, I think they were humidified in the air. If the environment is around 65 - 70% RH then they can last forever. When I buy cigars in Cuba I never worry about not keeping them in a humidor. That country is one giant humidor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call these unhumidified since they are in a humid environment. They just are not in a humidor. All a humidor does is create a micro-environment. We sometimes get fixated on humidity control because most people live in climates that have wide ranges in weather, temp and humidity based on the changing seasons. It takes a longer (I have heard 4-times as long) for a cigar to take on humidity that it took to dry. So high humidity spikes for short periods does not necessarily mean a cigar is over humidified. Remember, when you measure RH, it measures moisture in the air at the ambient temperature and not the moisture content of the cigar.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have a buddy who keeps his cigars in boxes in his man cave out in the open. he lives three houses from the ocean and the cave is below ground. Never a problem with his sticks other than occasionally they get over humidified.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't call these unhumidified since they are in a humid environment. They just are not in a humidor. All a humidor does is create a micro-environment. We sometimes get fixated on humidity control because most people live in climates that have wide ranges in weather, temp and humidity based on the changing seasons. It takes a longer (I have heard 4-times as long) for a cigar to take on humidity that it took to dry. So high humidity spikes for short periods does not necessarily mean a cigar is over humidified. Remember, when you measure RH, it measures moisture in the air at the ambient temperature and not the moisture content of the cigar.
THIS