What's new

Update on Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted before when I first got this giant (24d x 48w x 80h), I had all kinds of questions and got some great answers from everyone. The humidor was made by JC Pendergast out of Racine WI. The company closed in the late 90's. I searched and searched and finally found the owner of the company, he name is Jim Pendergast he still lives in Racine, WI. I have talked with him many times about the humidor, he told me everything I needed to know about this humidor. It still had the original 2 gallon humidifier and still worked perfectly, so I kept it. The unit holds over 5000 sticks (I only have roughly 1100 in it). Jim said, "the unit's airflow is engineered to mimic a 5 story HVAC system, with a main supply plenum, the vertical stack on the right, to provide humidified airflow, and a main return plenum, the vertical stack on the left, to return the air to the system to be reconditioned, or in this case, re-humidified. It produces a right to left airflow as viewed from the front, and passes through the system controller, the humidistat. The air is drawn into the humidifier and picks up humidity by passing through the wet wick filter, which stands in a water tray, and wicks the water from the water tray. Once the case has reached full saturation, you could unplug it, open the doors, fan them for a few minutes, close the doors and the case & contents will be back at 70% in a few minutes; the case interior wood and cigars don't take on humidity very quickly, and don't release it very quickly either. There is no need to pre-treat the Spanish Cedar interior by wiping, etc., and no other beads, chemicals, fans or anything is required to keep your cigars happy. Run the humidifier on its lowest speed." After him telling me this I was kind of worried that things would not go that smooth, low and behold it did. I have no fans, litter, beads or any other type of media and this unit will hold 70/70 all day long. When I first turned it on it ran for a day or so and used about a gallon of water since then it may come on once every other day for maybe 10 minutes or so. I have have it setup for a few weeks and have put 3 gallons of water in, right now the tank is about 3/4 full, so I have only used about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons of water. I can literally unlock the top cabinet doors, open both doors and stand there and enjoy the smell and sight for a minute or two then pick by stick, shut and lock the door and the humidifier will not kick on. Usually I have to keep the door open 5 minutes or more for it to kick on, but within a few minutes after shutting the doors the RH is back to 70%. If you should ever have the chance to get an JC Pendergast humidor GET IT. I traveled about 4 hours to get this one and paid $450.00, best investment I have ever made. Jim said they retailed from $3000 to $5000. If you own a JC Pendergast humidor and would love to know more about them please PM me and I'll give you Jim's email. He is great and will help you any way he can.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You got an absolute steal for $450. Congratulations. You are going to have some fun stocking that humidor.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Yes sir, I can go anywhere between 20% and 80%
Who smokes their sticks at 80%?
Or 20%?

Lol.

I like the way its made. Just looking at pictures I had guessed the holes were for airflow, but I like how it passes from one to the other. Good engineering.

Its a steal at that price.

But... do I hear you're about 4000 cigars short?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@herfdog when I first got it I only had maybe 150 sticks, when I got it home my wife feel in love with it. She LOVES the smell of pipes and cigars. I placed my few in the trays on the 3rd shelf I only filled maybe 3 I had 7, my wife told me :that looks pitiful, I would be embarrassed for anybody to see it." I replied "well that means I have to order some". she then replied go ahead you can spend $2500 and that's it no more. I have a really bad problem of when doing something I go all out. I ordered 4 different orders from JR, 1st order 1 box total 72.95, 2nd order 23 boxes total 1153.74 3rd order 12 boxes total 603.92 then last order from JR was 1 box total 97.80. Then I placed an order with CI for 6 boxes for a total of 257.64 then I ordered from BSP 7 boxes for a total of 221.91 and my last order was from Fletchers in Florida 2 boxes for a total of 195.22. I went a little over here $2500 limit :), In no way am I bragging about spending that much on cigars, WHAT I will brag about is I have the greatest wife in the world. With everything I order I could close the boxes and stack them on one shelf I counted as I put every thing in and I think it was 1110 sticks. She did say I could not order anymore cigars in bulk like that again. However, she did say that I can order 2 boxes a month up to $225. including shipping. But still I have to say I have the worlds greatest wife. I LOVE YOU HONEY! :kiss:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Dude I would love to have one of those. And my wife is awesome and all when it comes to buying cigars but no way in hell she would let me buy that many. My hat is off to you friend for finding the Queen!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime she is the Queen B---H, ut all in all she is great, I guess I will take some advise from here and buy here something nice. Thanks for all the great replies.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across your post when trying to find out about the humidor I just purchased. Come to find out it is also a JC Pendergast. Although mine seems to have been re done and does not have the original humidifer, any suggestions on what to replace it with. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I just came across your post when trying to find out about the humidor I just purchased. Come to find out it is also a JC Pendergast. Although mine seems to have been re done and does not have the original humidifer, any suggestions on what to replace it with. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Cigar Oasis Magna should do the trick; I love my XL. I've been using it for a number of years now without any problems, and it's rock steady! (y)
http://www.cigaroasis.com/products/humidifier-products/uncategorised/cigar-oasis-magna.html