What's new

US Embassy Bahamas Cigar Club

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Might not be the right section for this, but while it isnt a HERF its something I cant wait to start up. I have been here a year and only one time, at a wetting down (a military tradition after promotions), have I been able to share a good cigar with some other guys. Well, it now seems that we might be able to start up a US Embassy cigar club AND have the meetings at Greycliff. I cant wait for this to start up, it should hold me over nicely until I can attend some HERFS when i move back to the states.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nice!!! I started the first US Embassy Cigar Club in Iraq and can offer you this one huge pointer: Embassies have what's called a CLO (Community Liaison Office). Among other tasks, it's also basically like State Department's version of MWR (since I see you're a Coastie).

You'll need to go through them and tell them you want to start a club that attaches the US Embassy name to it, officially, and they will get the proper permission from the Chief or Deputy Chief of Mission. There is no DOS rule against cigar clubs, so long as you're not PROFITING from it (using any and all gained funds to give right back to Members). Once permission is granted, you can put "US Embassy" on your apparel, coins, cigar labels, mugs, whatever and you're okay.

Apart from being in compliance with rules and regulations governing the use of "US Embassy," though...... the CLO will also put the club meetings and herfs out on internal official calendars, send out scheduled emails, distribute flyers for you, etc... They have funding just for that sort of thing!

Good luck, brother! Sounds like a blast and what a GREAT location to have some herfs!!!
Haha funny you should say, he is the one working with me to get it started. He just got out of the Coast Guard and was an LT and is married to my boss here. Good guy who loves his scotch and cigars. He has been able to get the clearance and everything, one rule though being no CC's for obviously reasons at the official meetings. Cant wait to get this up and going.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well we FINALLY are going to be having our first meeting tomorrow night at the Graycliff cigar lounge here in Nassau. What is even better, after talking with Enrico Garzaroli, the Chairman and founder of the Graycliff Cigar Company, it sounds like we might be able to get hands on teaching at the factory and maybe make our own blends and even possible design a cigar band for the Cigar Club.

I know this doesnt involve anyone else on here and dont mean to bore you, but I just am pumped that it is finally happening. So again, if you guys are coming this way let me know and we will try to do a cigar meet up.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sadly it ended up getting canceled last minute due to the attacks that have taken place at US Embassies. It was not canceled for security reasons, but out of respect due to many people at the Embassy knowing some people that died and having family that were in those areas at the times. So my prayers go out to those State Department families that were affected.