What's new

V-Cutter (Brand, merchant, Info, etc.)

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The site sponsers don't seem to carry V-Cutters and I haven't really seen any recommendations about what are good brands for a V-Cutter. I am interested in purchasing one, any recommendations would be helpul.

Also, does anyone know how they work on Machine made cigars? It seems as if they might keep more of the short filler in the cigar, is this the case?

Thanks
Micah

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm intending to get the Prometheus V Cutter, as I don't own one either and have thought about it for a while. I didn't want the cheap bulk v cutters out there.

http://lightersdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=2160

You can find them for less. My work Internet nanny blocks most of these sites tho, so you should google it.
That's a really nice looking cutter. I still have not tried a v-cut so I'm not certain if I like that style or not.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Not so popular anymore as they once were. Somewhere between a punch and a guillotine cut in terms of draw. It's good leaving the cap mostly intact and bad if the blade is dull and crushes or deforms the head. I guess it takes practice to get the correct depth.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a fan of the V-Cut, but like you've said they are not as popular as they once were.
Me, too. Unfortunately, AFAIK, there aren't any good notch cutters out there until you start spending hundreds of dollars (!). I have heard from a Prometheus dealer that their notch cutters aren't up to snuff any more. My recommendation is to buy a bunch of the cheap ones on cbid or elsewhere, try 'em out, keep the good ones, and toss the rest.

Once you find a good one, keep it sharp by cleaning the cutting edge with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol periodically, and it will last you longer than you would think.

BTW, if you buy any of the ones that have both a notch and a guillotine blade built in, be VERY careful where you put your fingers 'cause it's very easy to inadvertently insert a finger in the guillotine hole instead of the finger hole. Can you say, "ouch?" :argh:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks nice, I was kind of hoping for something around $50 or so, but if this is the way to go, I'll have to save up for one.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah, that's the one I had in mind. Supposed to be great cutters, but just too pricey for me. :frownno:

frankluke

Pipe Snob
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i didnt pay that much, i payed closer to $100 last year at my b&m, maybe there still the same price,, i'll let you know what they say later today.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those might (or might not) be decent. No way to know without trying. Thanks for the link --- I'll probably buy one to put on the other end of my watch chain for those rare occasions when I wear a tux and waistcoat.

Watch out for pocket cutters that look like the Boston cutter, that you can get on ebay and some other vendors. They suck big time (don't ask...).

frankluke

Pipe Snob
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
bad news, the price went up, way up at my b&m, they want 170 plus MA sales tax, thats way too much.. looks like the best price you can get is to go through bostoncutter.. like chuck said its worth it, if you like the v-cut this is the rolls royce.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Picked these up to see if this is even worth pursuing. These seem like decent quality German cutters, though I expect some learning curve, and I'd certainly be hesitant to try on some cigars without a good deal more experience. The optimal depth of the cut, technique for clean cuts, etc. are tbd for me.