What's new

V Cutter Help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am in the market for a V cutter. The Colibri is cheaper, but the Xikar has a lifetime warranty for about $10 more. I have a Xikar guillotine cutter and it is as good as new (7 yrs old). So my question is which one is a better cutter? I just need some guidance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Xikar VX2. It works great. If price is the issue, buy what you feel comfortable spending. The Colibri and the Xikar will both do the job. I like how the Xikar VX2 feels in my hand. V cutters take some practice to operate. Your first couple of cuts may be uneven. It is difficult to explain, but the cutting blade can ride up the cut so it is deeper at the beginning and gets thinner on the exit. You have to learn how much inward pressure to put on the Cigar so it doesn’t ride up the cut. It is an idiocycracy of v-cutters.

The great thing about V-cutters is you can’t cut too deep like you can with a blade cut.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Some people love the “deep” V of the Colibri. My goal is to take the smallest cut possible that still has a good draw. I’m perfectly fine with my Xikar V cut. Just one persons opinion.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wind up with too many split caps using a Xikar V (possibly user error). Never tried the Colibri. Punch is my go to these days.
I traveled on business this week and I didn’t check luggage so I didn’t bring lighters (which have a punch), cutters or PerfecDraw. I had to pick up a punch to take along. As long as the punch looks benign, it can go through TSA.

As it was, even with TSA precheck, I got the full TSA treatment with shoes off, belt off, body scan, pat-down search and carryon luggage check going out. They looked in my travel Cigar case too. Then coming back, I got the mini-TSA search of only my carryon luggage this time.