What's new

Vein roller

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If you're rolling with a mold, binder leaf veins are a non issue, especially if the leaves are big enough to trim out some of the leaf closest to the midrib where those veins are largest. Even with wrapper, if you case properly, a good stretch while wrapping will flatten the vein as the wrapper dries and will shrink some.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a couple of molds that I made but I don't usually use them as I find it difficult to get just the right amount of filler. I prefer to wrap each stick tight with a strip of newspaper. This works just as well for me, but it is a bit more work.
Also, I have used my kitchen rolling pin to flatten out some ugly veins.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a couple of molds that I made but I don't usually use them as I find it difficult to get just the right amount of filler. I prefer to wrap each stick tight with a strip of newspaper. This works just as well for me, but it is a bit more work.
Also, I have used my kitchen rolling pin to flatten out some ugly veins.
It does take a deal of practice to get just the right amount of filler. That's why it's important to put in a deal of practice.

Fetch a stick out of the humidor which is just the size you want. Hold it in your hand a lot. Refer to the feel of it frequently while rolling. Feel like your needs more? Put in more. Less, less. Just feeling the bulk and weight and size and tight of a model stick will do wonders.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have tried my new roller and ....
.. that works well. That looks like some wet shade wrapper.
As long as you face those veins inwards, they shouldn't give you any trouble as long as you keep it taught, they should fall into the filler if its soft enough.
You could pinch out some of the thicker ones as you roll along and, if your using that for a wrapper, cut some of the bottom of that away. You'll need less of an over lapping then that. use a base leaf under your outer binder leaf and let it slack. it will keep it from over booking the binding and keep it from tunneling when smoked.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.. that works well. That looks like some wet shade wrapper....
I was watching a few videos and they suggested wetting the board to help keep the wrapper leaf in place and to facilitate stretching when rolling, is it better not to wet the board at all? Seen a whole bunch of pros and they don’t use water but I’m far from being a pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was watching a few videos and they suggested wetting the board to help keep the wrapper leaf in place and to facilitate stretching when rolling, is it better not to wet the board at all? Seen a whole bunch of pros and they don’t use water but I’m far from being a pro.
Letting it dry can create coverage problems when applied. In a heated house, really fast. Prepping a leaf to its optimum by its type is key. Wetting a board down can help and, it seems a lot of rollers like to stretch out the leaf on a wet board.
As I understand it, true maduro, (fermented to the max) is extra prone to tearing so, by securing it to the board at maximum stretch works well because your able to discard any fragile bits. Most often on stainless steel. sticks well/Its hard to scratch up with the knife.
Other types of leaf have less of a stretch memory to work with. I like to save the max stretch with other leaf for when it goes on.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have often had a problem deciding which side of the leaf the vein is sticking out on. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Then I realized that it is raised on the lighter side of the leaf so your wrapper leaf should always go darker side out. It took me a long time to figure that out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was rolling with a CT broadleaf wrapper with HUGE veins I used a wallpaper seam roller from the hardware store this to assist in flattening, Make sure to roll from the leaf edge towards the stem end so the juice has a place to squeeze out. BTW, the juice is quite sticky so be sure to clean your board frequently. I solved the problem by not reordering the CT broadleaf wrapper. ;)