What's new

Very inexpensive marble cutting board

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a 'Floor and Decor' open not far from me. I stopped in tonight and they had a very nice selection of 12" x 24" tiles in solid marble 3/8" thick. (24" x 24" also if you want even bigger for $3 more) I really liked the clean look of the white gloss surface of the 'crystal white' marble. It's heavy and quite substantial so there's no movement. For a cost of $10 should last a life time.

Should be easier to see the leaf as well as wipe the surface clean. The gloss finish 'sticks' the wrapper leaf very well and allows it to be stretched out to the max. (Showing a full binder leaf for size comparison.) I think it's an excellent surface and a heck of a bargain.

Cutting board.jpg

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
BrewinHooligan... I was thinking about rollers that do public weddings and shows could make a low profile light box and have the light glowing through the marble that you're rolling on.

I've been using marble for years and never had to sharpen the blade.
Respectfully, you are crushing your cuts instead of actually cutting. With tobacco it might not matter since the leaves are so thin, but marble is hell on a cutting edge.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
BrewinHooligan... I was thinking about rollers that do public weddings and shows could make a low profile light box and have the light glowing through the marble that you're rolling on.

I've been using marble for years and never had to sharpen the blade.
That's a pretty slick idea. I will have to look into that.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's what I scored at Home Despot for two and a half bucks. Yes, it is hard on the edge. However, I still use the bamboo board for de-veining and such. But the marble tile is slick enough to stick a wrapper half down taut for it's final trim.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Your cutting edge is going to be fine.... Marble is soft, just be careful it will wear on the edges depending on how thick it is. As long as you don't mind it getting dinged and knicked up it will last forever.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Your cutting edge is going to be fine.... Marble is soft, just be careful it will wear on the edges depending on how thick it is. As long as you don't mind it getting dinged and knicked up it will last forever.
These tiles aren't real marble, DRed. They are porcelain tiles. Least mine is. Looks just like GDaddy's picture. That's why it's only 3/8" thick, with a beige backside. They just call it "marble". Porcelain is hard as can be. Chavettas are not exactly made of fine steel, either.

Anyhoo, the deal is to get a slick surface.

There's a stone place down the road. I ought to go see what they have.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pine I'm guessing. I'm considering glueing maple planks to it. Got it at Home Depot today. The cutting board from the kitchen may not work because onions were cut on it. I read that here I think.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got a round 2 foot thing and a 12x12 granite tile today
This is a stainless steel surface that a lot of pro's use.
FYI... if you can find a marble/granite countertop fabricator near you they have loads of scrap. The cut out for the sink makes a very nice rolling surface. A smooth non-porous surface helps a moist wrapper leaf to stick down and be stretched out and still hold it's position. I find it to be very helpful but it's not a necessity.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread with a question. I scored a hell of a deal on a 2.5 inch thick Boos block on Amazon, picking up one that was sold as used, for like $40. It came today and I plan on using it for most of my rolling. It looks brand new. Has anyone used typical board wax on a board used for rolling cigars? I was guessing that if the pores were filled and the surface extremely smooth, it would help make the leaf stick to it similar to glass or ceramic or steel.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it back. I've got a piece of 2x12 that is 18 inches long or so. I am going to see if I can get a piece of Formica I can glue to it.
I would NOT do Formica. It's not hard enough. The blade will cut/scratch the surface and leave little pieces of plastic.

The best alternative would be to glue down a piece of smooth stainless steel. (not brushed) OR, better yet, get a piece of polished granite at a fabrication shop for little to no money!! It's really easy and simple and inexpensive and works the best. I did splurge and spent $9 at 'Floor and Decor' for the white 12" x 24" polished solid granite tile.

After several thousand cigars the granite shows no wear and I haven't had to sharpen my blade either. Beautiful cuts and the leaf sticks like glue on a wet surface.