What's new

Veteran's day smokes

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Any fellow veterans planning to smoke anything a little special for Veteran's day?

I don't consider it to as big a holiday as Memorial day, Thanksgiving or Christmas, so won't be dipping into my small stash of cc EL's, but do have 4 various 2016 Opus X's and a 2011 and a 2010 God of Fire in my "special occasion smokes" tupperdor that I will likely dip into finally.

Will likely try my first God of Fire in celebration. Something a little special, especially since I have never had one.

I'm sure there's a fair number of veterans here, so what are you planning for "our" special day?

If you don't mind, include your branch of service and era you served, your job during your service would be cool too. Would enjoy seeing who we have for veterans here and what branch and era's are represented.

US Navy 3/5/2001 to 3/5/2009
OEF/OIF Veteran
Avionics technician
Petty Officer 3rd Class
USS Nimitz, USS Roosevelt, and my favorite, USS Enterprise

Eta: this thread is in no way intended to solicit any kind of thanks from people, simply interested in meeting fellow veterans and about their experience, and of course, if they are smoking anything special tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your service!
No thanks necessary. It was my honor to serve, and I loved the Navy.

Probably would have done the full 20 years then retire if I could have, but developed knee problems and almost got medically discharged during my 2nd to last year, but was able to talk them out of it so I could complete the last year of my enlistment, under the condition that I didn't reenlist.

Did get to briefly continue serving after my discharge by joining the Oregon State Defense Force for the 2 years I lived there for my first job after the navy. Picture the National Guard without the guns or getting deployed out of the state, as per Oregon law. Focused on disaster relief, security and first aid at large events, and that type of thing.

We used the National Guard Armory for training and meetings and such, and all of our uniforms were hand me downs from the Guard that had been replaced by ACU`s, so we wore the old woodland camo. Same dress uniform though.

Was an interesting experience and was nice to be able continuing to serve in a small way at least.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Any fellow veterans planning to smoke anything a little special for Veteran's day?

I don't consider it to as big a holiday as Memorial day, Thanksgiving or Christmas, so won't be dipping into my small stash of cc EL's, but do have 4 various 2016 Opus X's and a 2011 and a 2010 God of Fire in my "special occasion smokes" tupperdor that I will likely dip into finally.

Will likely try my first God of Fire in celebration. Something a little special, especially since I have never had one.

I'm sure there's a fair number of veterans here, so what are you planning for "our" special day?

If you don't mind, include your branch of service and era you served, your job during your service would be cool too. Would enjoy seeing who we have for veterans here and what branch and era's are represented.

US Navy 3/5/2001 to 3/5/2009
OEF/OIF Veteran
Avionics technician
Petty Officer 3rd Class
USS Nimitz, USS Roosevelt, and my favorite, USS Enterprise

Eta: this thread is in no way intended to solicit any kind of thanks from people, simply interested in meeting fellow veterans and about their experience, and of course, if they are smoking anything special tomorrow.

Hi @Jrfoxx , my father was also aviation electronics, but that was in the 60s....
Thank you for your service!
I served from 92-00, also USN, as a Nuke Electronics Technician. Spent a few years on the Mighty Mississippi (CGN-40) followed by a few years teaching at a prototype unit.

As for a smoke, I'm going to be working all night. Should be sleeping now but my dog doesn't seem to understand that....
Perhaps I'll find a short smoke for the ride in tonight...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @Jrfoxx , my father was also aviation electronics, but that was in the 60s....
Thank you for your service!
I served from 92-00, also USN, as a Nuke Electronics Technician. Spent a few years on the Mighty Mississippi (CGN-40) followed by a few years teaching at a prototype unit.

As for a smoke, I'm going to be working all night. Should be sleeping now but my dog doesn't seem to understand that....
Perhaps I'll find a short smoke for the ride in tonight...
Very cool

I originally wanted to be a nuke, but they knew at MEPS that I couldn't get the required security clearance due to a small criminal record from my younger, wilder days, so I went with AT instead as it sounded like a cool job too

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2001 Saint Luis Rey Double Corona

Very tasty. Still a fair amount of flavor after 20 years. 1st half was very mild, but picked up nicely in the 2nd half.

Draw was a little tight, but didn't want to risk cracking the wrapper using a draw tool as has happened with many very aged cigars, so smoke volume in the first half was less than I prefer, but it too picked up in the second half.

Burn and construction were perfect

Overall, one of the better 20 year old smokes I have had.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
God of Fire 2011 Don Carlos Robusto

My first of these, in fact only relatively recently learned they existed, lol

Very tasty. A fair bit of spiciness on the tongue after 10 years, and a hint of that unique agged flavor. A mild-medium I would say.

Perfect draw,burn and construction

Overall a very good cigar