What's new

Viaje Daisy Cutter (Skull and Bones)

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Viaje Skull and Bones Daisy Cutter

(Skip the next paragraph if you want to get straight to the review)

The Skull and Bones is the latest release from Viaje Cigars, a fairly new boutique brand, created by Andre Farkas. The Viaje Holiday Blend 2009 created a stir when released in December, and sold out fairly quickly. The other regular Viaje lines have also been well received in the cigar community. At this point, the Skull and Bones line is only available in a 4 x 54 violta called the Daisy Cutter. It’s wrapped with a sun grown criollo wrapper containing Nicaraguan binder and filler. They come 25 to a box and retail for approximately $9.00 a stick. Only 150 boxes were produced, and adorned with (you guessed it!) a skull and crossbones as well as pirate-esque font. The bottom of the box reads “be warned”.
Al Duffrin from Viaje said these cigars were Viaje’s answer to their fans for a more full bodied cigar.

Prelight
Nice wrapper with some oils* and a nice sheen. *( I think these need some rest, as they appear to be just slightly weary from travel.)
Dry draw was good, and left a taste of cloves and earth.

First Third
Holy freakin’ cow…This cigar started off very strong. A large presence of charred wood up front with faint notes of black cherries and peppercorns in the background. Huge amounts of thick smoke, thanks to the 54 ring gauge and excellent craftsmanship.

Second Third
The charred wood/burnt toast remained dominant, and the ash held solid. Traces of dates and dried fruit darted in and out. This was a powerful cigar, similar to a Cain F, but more refined. The finish was medium with flavors of paprika and peppercorns.

Final Third
The flavor profile remained pretty consistent…Lots of charred wood, pepper, and nuances of dried fruit and possibly cinnamon stick.
The cigar burned evenly and the ash was solid and clingy throughout the smoke

Closing
Make no mistake, this cigar is a thoroughbred. The “be warned” advice on the bottom of the box is not to be taken lightly. Powerful, yet incredibly smooth and enjoyable. I wonder if the ligero in this cigar will allow for the other flavor complexities to blossom over the years….Can’t wait to find out. Nice cigar!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow...you are fast on getting out this review. Great review....I hope to get to try a couple of these.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Dang :disappoin. I was kind of hoping they weren't that good, then I wouldn't want to track some down. Thanks for the review though :thumbsup:.

Dan

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Great review!!.....very excited that there is now a 2nd positive review out there on these things, beyond the video review link Larry posted in the cigars forum.

But I'm even MORE excited to know that some of these here Daisy Cutters will soon be in one of my humi's ;)!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to smoke one of these.

A little birdie in Norcal shared with me that they maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay get a few more boxes!