What's new

Vintage Stereos

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I grew up listening to my dad's 70s stereo and have always wanted to get one of my own. I came across a Realistic STA-95 in good condition this weekend for cheap and after some quick research decided it would be a worthwhile buy as an entry into the old school reciever world. Anyone else have an old setup you prefer to listen to over modern options?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I grew up listening to my dad's 70s stereo and have always wanted to get one of my own. I came across a Realistic STA-95 in good condition this weekend for cheap and after some quick research decided it would be a worthwhile buy as an entry into the old school reciever world. Anyone else have an old setup you prefer to listen to over modern options?

Nice find Cody! Looks good!

There's a thread on this somewhere here. @memphsdad mentioned something about replacing capacitors or something before they go bad and cause further problems.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Nice find Cody! Looks good!

There's a thread on this somewhere here. @memphsdad mentioned something about replacing capacitors or something before they go bad and cause further problems.
I'll search it out. The guy I bought it from briefly mentioned that would be his recommendation too!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I love some of those silver faced receivers from the 70's and vintage audio in general. I have had several of them over the years.
Combine that with some GOOD speakers and upgrade when you find something better. It is another slippery slope for sure, but it's a fun ride.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That's a great set up. How's it sound?

Don't want to derail the thread (quiet Jeremy), but on a related note has anyone else noticed that records are popping up in stores?
Was in Target over the weekend, and they have a bunch of them.
Saw some in Best Buy last week.
Cracks me up.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

Don't want to derail the thread (quiet Jeremy), but on a related note has anyone else noticed that records are popping up in stores?
Cracks me up.
We listened to records..... "before it was cool".... :bored: :LOL: :unsure:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0

Cracks me up.
Working on the speaker part now. I hooked up some cheap speakers just to ensure both channels were working. They sounded clear so that's good. I'm getting a pair of speakers a friend built a long time ago and will use those until I upgrade.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Speakers will make a HUGE difference in the quality of sound. Hopefully your speakers that you are getting and reasonably efficient. Your receiver is rated 45wpc, but you don't want to have to crank it way up to get wanted volume. This can cause clipping and blown speakers can be the result. Just sayin!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Speakers will make a HUGE difference in the quality of sound. Hopefully your speakers that you are getting and reasonably efficient. Your receiver is rated 45wpc, but you don't want to have to crank it way up to get wanted volume. This can cause clipping and blown speakers can be the result. Just sayin!
Thanks for the tip. The ones I'm getting are small-mid size bookshelf speakers and while I don't know their power rating they were powered by a smaller receiver with 25wpc so it shouldn't be an issue. I want to do some more research before I settle on a pair of older speakers. As you mentioned, I want something that isn't going to strain the receiver but has good quality sound.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for the tip. The ones I'm getting are small-mid size bookshelf speakers and while I don't know their power rating they were powered by a smaller receiver with 25wpc so it shouldn't be an issue. I want to do some more research before I settle on a pair of older speakers. As you mentioned, I want something that isn't going to strain the receiver but has good quality sound.
Although I have never owned them, I have done extensive listening to a friends Klipsch Belles. Efficient, neutral, clear and does not cause ear fatigue like some of the others in the vintage Klipsch lineup. JBL also made some (not all) very nice speakers.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Wasn't me. Unless we were talking flux capacitors, then it might have been me.
but on a related note has anyone else noticed that records are popping up in stores?
Cracks me up.
Yep, and they are outrageously expensive

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Last edited:

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
New vinyl will break your wallet...but theres definitely deals to be had. Estate sales and thrift stores. Ebay is good for Buy it Now lots.

I cant remember who it was on here, but they were really knowledgeable with Vintage gear. And speakers will make a whirl of difference...found some older Pioneer large bookshelf speakers and they sound just as good as brand new Polk Audios. Which it why I wont even try to replace them anytime soon.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Oh yeah those were popular. Go ahead. Get some speakers on it, tune to FM and flick that weighted dial as it goes " bullywooolpoodeoodoop " !

I had one in the early 80's and had it for about 20 years.
Fun Fact : After the 120VAC transformer, and it's bridge rectifier, the damn thing is actually a 12V DC unit.
Many of those years, the thing was my service truck radio.

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I realize some of it is just nostalgia, but it really seems those old set ups sound better.
Newer stuff is often clearer/cleaner, but maybe that's the problem... it sounds a little sterile.
Look at you contributing without derailing!

Proud of ya gramps.

I miss my dads old setup...man I remember holidays with it blaring out some record he bought in the 70s (3 dog night was a favorite of mine) while in Germany. Good times.