What's new

Vinyl records anyone?

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I miss the sound of vinyl albums, my aunt has a ton of albums, mostly oldies. When I lived with her she played them every weekend.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I've still got about 150 or so from back in the day that I pull out every now and then and put a needle to. Mostly classic rock stuff like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Neil Young, etc. I've also got some 45's going back to the late 60s into the 70s with stuff from Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Alice Cooper, CCR and others.

When it comes to collecting though I'm only a novice. My boss has approximately 500 in his collection and my younger brother has more than 1000.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Was just talking to someone yesterday about buying me a turntable and getting back into vinyl. It's been a really long time. To give you an idea, my last LP was the sound track from Animal House, lol (a lot of good music on that album, btw)

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Was just talking to someone yesterday about buying me a turntable and getting back into vinyl. It's been a really long time. To give you an idea, my last LP was the sound track from Animal House, lol (a lot of good music on that album, btw)
There are some great entry-level turntables being made today. Make sure your Amp or Receiver has a pre-amp that will handle a turntable though. I have a Pro-Ject III similar to this one:
http://vinylmeplease.com/the-top-5-beginner-turntables/

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
i've been looking at starting a collection for the past couple years but i have no where to put them. i was a dj for a while and technics are the best tables IMO even though i dont have experience with other brands. they are a staple in the dj community.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I need a décent turntable myself. But for records look at yard sales and bazars, its one if the rare great find you can make: pristine 70s LPs

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
im a dj (turn tablist) and use vinyl. i DO have SSL and tracktor, so i can use mp3s on my turntables, if needed, but prefer real analog vinyl to the time encoded records.
Chaz for real? me too bro, I have a ns7fx....I used to have 1200s w/a rane ttm but sold it..... (miss the vinyl and the serato w/the 1200s)

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
yan -
yup! there are control vinyl records (sound like a long "tone") that are time-encoded. the turntable connects to a box that connects to your computer, and you use a program to put songs on the "virtual" turntable. when you play the record, it knows (by the time encoded on the vinyl) the exact spot to play on the mp3. if the needle skips around on the record, the song also skips

the two big products for this are 1. Tracktor or 2. Serato Scratch Live
here is a video of the guru of scratching DJ QBert testing both products out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Chaz for real? me too bro, I have a ns7fx....I used to have 1200s w/a rane ttm but sold it..... (miss the vinyl and the serato w/the 1200s)
i had two technic 1200's, but sold one when my wife bought me a vestax QFO (signed by qbert!). currently using a vestax 07pro mixer, but looking into buying a rane 62. ill post a pic of my setup when i get a chance...

Rating - 100%
34   0   0

i had two technic 1200's, but sold one when my wife bought me a vestax QFO (signed by qbert!). currently using a vestax 07pro mixer, but looking into buying a rane 62. ill post a pic of my setup when i get a chance...
oh dayummm!!! yes sir! I PM you a link to a mix I made for study group and myself lol...chillstep very different...signed my bert? priceless bro

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My dad collected records/albums. He had about 2000 albums when he passed away. They are still sitting in the house. My mom won't let me have them, don't want me to sell them all. I have a few albums here from the 80's that me and the wife listen to every now and again. I also have a 1984 juke box. My dad had a 1956 Wurlitzer jukebox (still works). My sister and I would argue (not seriously) about who would get it when dad died. A couple years later he bought me and my sister a juke box. Hers still works, mine has a couple problems with it but still plays records.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I have a small handful of albums, my first record ever was Rush 2112. I have a Jimi Hendrix that came in clear vinyl, and I just bought the first 4 Blues Traveler albums in colored vinyl.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my entire record collection in a single poker game. I wasn't too worried, as I figured I would buy the records back when I was flush. Before that happened buddy up and died in a freak accident, and the estate got them.

:(