What's new

wads

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ever watch a pro roller's vid and think "That cheatin sumbidge! If I had a team of gals in back prep all my wraps so perfect all I had to do is reach one out & lay it down, Jesus! I could do as fast as him!" He unrolls one half leaf from a fat wad like a gangster peeling off a hundred to tip the stripper. BAM! lays it down flat as a pancake and gets to work.

Well, now YOU can TOO.

I went riding cross country. Gone a month. Two days later, rode to McSherrystown to catch up, cause I just had to ride some more. Brought these three items back ^ outta their gigantor FXSS basement fulla mysteries. The leaf is some flavor of Sumatran. It's not Bezuki, cause it doesn't have that toothy texture, nor is it green. Not the pale Sumatran we get from whosis. Not sure what. Smells good. I haven't played with it at all.... cause I got caught up with the other two items. That sleeve lower right contains fifty bunches labelled as 7"x50 rg Churchills. The bag above that contains eight wads of prepped wrappers, about 25 wraps to the wad; so about a hundred fifty wraps. I'm having a gas slapping the one on the other.

Story is, a guy wanted to send a torcedor to the cigar show to sit there and demo all day. Shipped out a huge stash of bunches and wrappers for FXSS to store until the day. Then it never happened, one reason or another. So for years and years, they've been settin there aging in the dungeon. Orphans in need of good homes. Orphans! You know, Vivaldi made his living under contract by a girl's orphanage to provide a concerto a week, week after week, for the little angels to play in Sunday afternoon concerts. The orphanage figured the best way for them to place these girls in good homes, centuries before radio or recordings were invented, remember, was to show them off a fiddling & a fluting, & luting lively tunes. Nothing to do with this topic, but it's my fave orphanage story, and the word "orphans" set me off. Just the mental pic of this stage full of charming sweethearts in white pinafores raising a cheery racket, & some old nobleman thinking "I wonder what else she can do with that emboucher," while his young wife thinks how to improve the entertainment at her next festa... it's a genius idea! Adopt that girl!

OK. Enough stream of consciousness. Point is, holy schidt, after all these years aging in the oubliette, this wrapper has become as lissome and limber as stone-washed silk on a rainy day. And the odor! My Gawd! If these leaves could grow titz I would marry them! There's about 25 per wad and a half dozen wads in a double-bagged bunch. I'm positive these are your best CT shade, from before the 2012 crop went small. These are the leaves FX used to buy in the good old days. A representative half leaf goes about 18" or 19", even after it's all stemmed and smoothed:

So thin that they are literally diaphanous, in that you can count your fingers on the other side of one:

... and yet, tho I have wrapped about 40 of these Churchills so far, I haven't busted or torn any of these wraps doing it. Plenty big for a Churchill. Plenty strong for an amateur.

Here's what I do: I have a two slot Churchill mold I got from Maks the Slovenian farmer. I place a pair of bunches in there, cause all the years bundled together tight up against one another has put them out of round. I spread a wad of 25 wraps in the leaf conditioner... a day is all it takes ... after that I keep them in one of Don's acrylic canisters... no spritzing at all at all. Do not spritz CT shade cause it gets spots if you do. I do cut an extra long flag, long enough to go like three times round the head, cause I like the head to be strong enough to chomp on when I smoke it. But even so, to wrap and flag and cap a pair of Churchills, less than 10 minutes by the clock:

Worst I can say, I'm having a challenge cutting the foot off clean. Maybe my blade needs sharped. Maybe it's just the stuff is delicate.

So here's my point: I'm going up there again early next month. Thinking I might score me a pile of bags of wads of wrappers. Thinking if anyone is interested, I'll grab some for you, too. No idea what they weigh. Imagine he prolly wants like $25 a bag. So I'll ask $35 to cover shipping. If you want some of those blanks, I'll score you however many sleeves, fifty bunches per sleeve. They actually smoke alright. Not moody enough for my taste; but good quality, nonetheless. A dry & woody mild flavor. Super easy draw. Let's say $30 per sleeve shipped. The worst I can say about these blanks, some have small stems that you need to pinch out if they come near the head. I don't worry about it ... I just live with the bump.

At the same time, I have gobs of leaf which I never use. I don't regret buying all this stuff -- that's the only way to find out what you like, you know. But now that I do know, I don't need to keep it. So anyone gives me your address, you know to expect lagniappe.

Tried one of these wadded CT shades on a quickie fecto, too, & now I'm trying to match a good blend for that:

But here's what I've mostly been doing, stealing time while catching up on work:

Let me know if you want in. I don't intend to stock up & become a leaf merchant; but I'll grab enough for myself and anyone who gives me a shout.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We are heirs to a uniquely comprehensive vocabulary which we mostly refuse to use.
I've forgotten most of the high school vocabulary I had learned. I'm hoping to regain some as my kids move through the public education system. I also hope English hasn't changed as much as math did...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are heirs to a uniquely comprehensive vocabulary which we mostly refuse to use.
This touches a sore spot for me.

There was a time when speaking proper english was an honor. Highly respected. Today's language skills have deteriorated greatly. It's somehow become 'cool' to curse openly in public. Role models in music and television have pushed this agenda to new levels of acceptance. The more we hear it, the more we accept it.

"You reap what you sow". Teaching your kids that this is acceptable behavior is a true degradation of our society. Maybe when your 5 year old turns to you and says "F-you" you'd realise there is a problem. Unfortunately for many parents it will go uncorrected. As my nephew listens to Eminem music in front of his 4 year old he says to me..."Hey, they're going to hear it sooner or later so don't worry about it". Despicable!!

If I'm in a family restaurant and I hear cursing I will get up from my seat and come to your table and let you know it's NOT acceptable language in no uncertain terms.

Rant off.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've forgotten most of the high school vocabulary I had learned. I'm hoping to regain some as my kids move through the public education system. I also hope English hasn't changed as much as math did...
Math advanced for the better. English has deteriorated.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Ever watch a pro roller's vid and think "That cheatin sumbidge! If I had a team of gals in back prep all my wraps so perfect all I had to do is reach one out & lay it down, Jesus! I could do as fast as him!" He unrolls one half leaf from a fat wad like a gangster peeling off a hundred to tip the stripper. BAM! lays it down flat as a pancake and gets to work.

Well, now YOU can TOO.

I went riding cross country. Gone a month. Two days later, rode to McSherrystown to catch up, cause I just had to ride some more. Brought these three items back ^ outta their gigantor FXSS basement fulla mysteries. The leaf is some flavor of Sumatran. It's not Bezuki, cause it doesn't have that toothy texture, nor is it green. Not the pale Sumatran we get from whosis. Not sure what. Smells good. I haven't played with it at all.... cause I got caught up with the other two items. That sleeve lower right contains fifty bunches labelled as 7"x50 rg Churchills. The bag above that contains eight wads of prepped wrappers, about 25 wraps to the wad; so about a hundred fifty wraps. I'm having a gas slapping the one on the other.

Story is, a guy wanted to send a torcedor to the cigar show to sit there and demo all day. Shipped out a huge stash of bunches and wrappers for FXSS to store until the day. Then it never happened, one reason or another. So for years and years, they've been settin there aging in the dungeon. Orphans in need of good homes. Orphans! You know, Vivaldi made his living under contract by a girl's orphanage to provide a concerto a week, week after week, for the little angels to play in Sunday afternoon concerts. The orphanage figured the best way for them to place these girls in good homes, centuries before radio or recordings were invented, remember, was to show them off a fiddling & a fluting, & luting lively tunes. Nothing to do with this topic, but it's my fave orphanage story, and the word "orphans" set me off. Just the mental pic of this stage full of charming sweethearts in white pinafores raising a cheery racket, & some old nobleman thinking "I wonder what else she can do with that emboucher," while his young wife thinks how to improve the entertainment at her next festa... it's a genius idea! Adopt that girl!

OK. Enough stream of consciousness. Point is, holy schidt, after all these years aging in the oubliette, this wrapper has become as lissome and limber as stone-washed silk on a rainy day. And the odor! My Gawd! If these leaves could grow titz I would marry them! There's about 25 per wad and a half dozen wads in a double-bagged bunch. I'm positive these are your best CT shade, from before the 2012 crop went small. These are the leaves FX used to buy in the good old days. A representative half leaf goes about 18" or 19", even after it's all stemmed and smoothed:

So thin that they are literally diaphanous, in that you can count your fingers on the other side of one:

... and yet, tho I have wrapped about 40 of these Churchills so far, I haven't busted or torn any of these wraps doing it. Plenty big for a Churchill. Plenty strong for an amateur.

Here's what I do: I have a two slot Churchill mold I got from Maks the Slovenian farmer. I place a pair of bunches in there, cause all the years bundled together tight up against one another has put them out of round. I spread a wad of 25 wraps in the leaf conditioner... a day is all it takes ... after that I keep them in one of Don's acrylic canisters... no spritzing at all at all. Do not spritz CT shade cause it gets spots if you do. I do cut an extra long flag, long enough to go like three times round the head, cause I like the head to be strong enough to chomp on when I smoke it. But even so, to wrap and flag and cap a pair of Churchills, less than 10 minutes by the clock:

Worst I can say, I'm having a challenge cutting the foot off clean. Maybe my blade needs sharped. Maybe it's just the stuff is delicate.

So here's my point: I'm going up there again early next month. Thinking I might score me a pile of bags of wads of wrappers. Thinking if anyone is interested, I'll grab some for you, too. No idea what they weigh. Imagine he prolly wants like $25 a bag. So I'll ask $35 to cover shipping. If you want some of those blanks, I'll score you however many sleeves, fifty bunches per sleeve. They actually smoke alright. Not moody enough for my taste; but good quality, nonetheless. A dry & woody mild flavor. Super easy draw. Let's say $30 per sleeve shipped. The worst I can say about these blanks, some have small stems that you need to pinch out if they come near the head. I don't worry about it ... I just live with the bump.

At the same time, I have gobs of leaf which I never use. I don't regret buying all this stuff -- that's the only way to find out what you like, you know. But now that I do know, I don't need to keep it. So anyone gives me your address, you know to expect lagniappe.

Tried one of these wadded CT shades on a quickie fecto, too, & now I'm trying to match a good blend for that:

But here's what I've mostly been doing, stealing time while catching up on work:

Let me know if you want in. I don't intend to stock up & become a leaf merchant; but I'll grab enough for myself and anyone who gives me a shout.
I am interested as well, looking forward to winter so I can get back to rolling.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Brothers, I'll try and get up to McSherrystown to score us some aged CT shade wrapper wads, either this holiday weekend or some day next week. I love these wads to death. I think they are the most convenient wrapper gems ever. Easiest way to get a double double smooth smooth and well aged CT shade. I'm taking a couple Franklins up there, and I'll let Ben do the talking. He is a persuasive old Founder. A number of you said you want in on the wad deal; but the mystery is HOW MANY wads you want. Nobody wanted to say. I'll just score whatever two Franklins gets. They won't go to waste.

The other leaf I mentioned is FXSS's old Sumatra stuff. It took me most of this month before I had a chance to test any of that out, just because I have been so fascinated with the wads that I haven't taken the trouble to roll any sticks up. Well, I finally rounded my tuit and rolled up some test sticks:

I rolled 4 quick test plumpfectos. Each was a nice mild blend of 3 small Cibao Valley Vuelta viso leaves and half a Dominican seco. Two were wrapped with wad wrapper, while the other two were wrapped with Sumatra. My aim was not to overpower, but to showcase wraps for comparison. Here, you see a pair getting smoked side by side. The CT wad is on the left, of course, and the darker Sumatra is on the right.

I think they're grown from the same seed. Both have that mild, woody, smooth and creamy. Just that the Sumatra lacks a grassy twang which seems peculiar to Connecticut valley shade. Reminds me of those hops from Washington state... light bitterness Both wraps are delicate yet strong, and both shrink down tight quick as a wink. These leaves are smaller than the leaves which the wads were cut from... but are still plenty big enough to wrap a plumpfecto with some flag left over. Some have a few tiby bug bites down by the stem end. If you like the CT shade, but you don't want the twang, let me know and I'll see about scoring some of this for you. One hand weighs in at two fifths of a pound; so say three hands is a pound and a quarter. Probably twenty bucks.

Me, I'm sticking with the wads. Love 'em.

Gotta go. Working like the devil here, ever since I got back. Hectic pace.

Bliss, did you try out that wad I sent you? How'd you like them?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Brothers, I'll try and get up to McSherrystown to score us some aged CT shade wrapper wads, either this holiday weekend or some day next week. I love these wads to death. I think they are the most convenient wrapper gems ever. Easiest way to get a double double smooth smooth and well aged CT shade. I'm taking a couple Franklins up there, and I'll let Ben do the talking. He is a persuasive old Founder. A number of you said you want in on the wad deal; but the mystery is HOW MANY wads you want. Nobody wanted to say. I'll just score whatever two Franklins gets. They won't go to waste.

The other leaf I mentioned is FXSS's old Sumatra stuff. It took me most of this month before I had a chance to test any of that out, just because I have been so fascinated with the wads that I haven't taken the trouble to roll any sticks up. Well, I finally rounded my tuit and rolled up some test sticks:

I rolled 4 quick test plumpfectos. Each was a nice mild blend of 3 small Cibao Valley Vuelta viso leaves and half a Dominican seco. Two were wrapped with wad wrapper, while the other two were wrapped with Sumatra. My aim was not to overpower, but to showcase wraps for comparison. Here, you see a pair getting smoked side by side. The CT wad is on the left, of course, and the darker Sumatra is on the right.

I think they're grown from the same seed. Both have that mild, woody, smooth and creamy. Just that the Sumatra lacks a grassy twang which seems peculiar to Connecticut valley shade. Reminds me of those hops from Washington state... light bitterness Both wraps are delicate yet strong, and both shrink down tight quick as a wink. These leaves are smaller than the leaves which the wads were cut from... but are still plenty big enough to wrap a plumpfecto with some flag left over. Some have a few tiby bug bites down by the stem end. If you like the CT shade, but you don't want the twang, let me know and I'll see about scoring some of this for you. One hand weighs in at two fifths of a pound; so say three hands is a pound and a quarter. Probably twenty bucks.

Me, I'm sticking with the wads. Love 'em.

Gotta go. Working like the devil here, ever since I got back. Hectic pace.

Bliss, did you try out that wad I sent you? How'd you like them?
First off, I'd like to score a pound of that Sumatra to mess with. Second, I did roll and smoke 12 Salomons with the wadleaf. I have mixed emotions. The ease of use compared to the onstemleaf fx stuff is of course astronomical. The quality--in terms of holes, tears, etc.--is also fantastic. The mixed emotion comes from the soul aspect. There is something less intense and freaky about the flavor of these leaves than the onstemleaf scrap/crap fx ct. I did find that after about 10 days the wad-wrapped cigars started to come into their own, compared to the ROTT-own-into-coming of the onstemleaf. Also the sort of pale boring color of the wadleaf developed into something a little darker/richer looking after that 10 days, even though the leaf was never moist, per se. So in the end I was left feeling undecided, which is why I have not put in my own wad order. Yet. The convenience aspect means nothing to me, as I enjoy [all aspects of] rolling cigars. But the quality of these leaves is a very significant aspect compared to the uncut stuff, which is generally of terrible quality but has a lot of soul.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always struggled to get wrapper smooth. I usually moisten the crap out of it, lay the leaves together stem in and fold it once the short way. Let it sit in the bag 24 hours, then pull it our, destem it and start wrapping. It's easier to stem and lay it out flat as I'm wrapping, but the leaves are far from flat. Lots of fussy trimming work to get the display edge straight. Any word from the masters about how they make all the wads you're buzzing about? That is the skill I'd really like to master.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have always struggled to get wrapper smooth. I usually moisten the crap out of it, lay the leaves together stem in and fold it once the short way. Let it sit in the bag 24 hours, then pull it our, destem it and start wrapping. It's easier to stem and lay it out flat as I'm wrapping, but the leaves are far from flat. Lots of fussy trimming work to get the display edge straight. Any word from the masters about how they make all the wads you're buzzing about? That is the skill I'd really like to master.
The only way I've seen it done in person:

A woman immerses the eaves in a barrel all day
Then a woman runs each leaf thru a de-stemming machine
She stacks the left sides in one stack and the right sides in another
Another woman stretches these stacks leaf by leaf on a convex surface the shape of a gymnast's pommel horse without the handles
The new stack is rolled into a wad

There you go.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it. But it seems like the vids you see are all about wrapping, ignoring all the prep work.

Bliss made some good vids showing how he preps his leaves.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Web-

If a bag has multiple wads like the picture, I will need just one bag. Hope that helps your calculations.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the English has changed as well. nasty is not wretched....it is now ratchet according to my HS senior girl!!!