What's new

Warm weather shipping

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
As this will be my first summer of mailing cigars, should I be concerned with freezing any cigars I order and or letting my victims, err I mean recipients, know they should freeze them for a while to be safe?

I see a few threads around the community in which people are stating they freeze all shipments received between May and September. Is this really neccessary?

I am convinced by what I have read that there is little to no affect on the flavor of the cigar, if allowed to recover slowly, I just have no room in my freezer.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, you should freeze all incoming boxes regardless of what month It Is. What's the old axiom, rather be safe then sorry.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good question. I have also seen a number of posts indicating that unless you have a sub-zero freezer, the average freezer won't get them cold enough. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sunivy, I will try to link it up later, but do a search at CW on freezing (might be stickied in the Cedar Room). Someone just did some research on this and dispelled the above "myth". Just have to freeze them long enough.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I never freeze cigars unless I see a hole, but thats just me...we are all so concerned about storage conditions, freezing cigars over several days and thawing them out just flys in the face of what we are trying to accomplish. But I certainly understand the concern about bugs; tough call.....

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I never freeze. haven't had a problem so far. this year as an added precaution I started shipping to a PO box to avoid my sticks sitting in a hot delivery truck all day. This is because my usual USPS delivery was 5 PM or later. Other forms of delivery alwys arrive before 11 am.

Prince makes sense to err on the side of caution, better safe then sorry. especially since there is really no downside other than an extra few days inbound time and minimal work involved.

Coppertop

Hi Ya Fellas
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
stogies&hoagies said:
I never freeze. haven't had a problem so far. this year as an added precaution I started shipping to a PO box to avoid my sticks sitting in a hot delivery truck all day.
That's a great idea...I may look into that when I get home. I have no idea what a PO box cost per month/yr.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Coppertop said:
That's a great idea...I may look into that when I get home. I have no idea what a PO box cost per month/yr.

They're relatively cheap for the smallest on $19 for 1/2 a year + $2 for the P.O. Box Keys. And it goes up after that. Really a small investment if you want your mail still delivered to your house but your sticks to the P.O. Box.

As for me, I'm through buying until about September or October. Just too damn hot for my liking.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
cvm4 said:
As for me, I'm through buying until about September or October. Just too damn hot for my liking.
Probably the same here. Besides, the CC needs a rest anyway.