What's new

Warmer temps in the cooler

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
With the warmer temps fast approaching, I will have some difficulty keeping my coolidor under 70 degrees. I keep it in the closet in my office and does not have sunshine anywhere close. We usually keep the Air Conditioner on 70 but the house temps fluxuate quite a bit during the day and typically the cooler will run high. So here is my question.

Is it ill advised on my part to double ziplock a handfull of ice cubes to keep in the cooler to try and moderate the temps?

I know leakage would be detrimental but other than that possibility I'm not sure I see a downside. Any and all comments encouraged.

Edit: Not withstanding the obvious issue with condensation (keep in bowl or small container)

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have already done that, there are time where the temp has gotten up to 75 degrees in my appartment already this winter. The blue freezer blocks work well, just don't leave them in to long. It takes about 30 minutes to drop the temp from 70+ to about 63 degrees. Works great.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Get about 4 or 5 freezer block thingys, like Todd said :rofl: , and rotate them twice daily. I covered mine with a cotton hand towel so it wouldn't gather so much moisture around it.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
or you could do like i plan on doing. (with my future coolidor and my desktops)

ill put them in the bedroom (where we have a large window a/c.) i keep the door shut all the time and the a/c on med. keeps the entire room and my desktops at 65-68. plus it sooooooo nice for sleeping!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I keep my cigars in a cooler in my office at home. The room is upstairs so it does make it hard to keep cool in the summer. I haven't had any problems with it though. I believe it takes both temperature and humidity for beetles to hatch so I think that making sure the RH is 65 or below keeps it from happening. Seems to be working for me so far.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have used the blue freezer blocks when the temps get too high. Agree with CLiff. Wrap in a towel and it only takes a hour or so.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Also if you do not have enough room for the blue blocks. I got a plastic drink mixer from Target this week and it has little cubes filled with water. You freeze them and just put a few in a zip lock bag. Just another idea.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
another option would be a reusable gel cold pack, you can get those for many different uses, but they have them at the drugstore for sprains and stuff...you should be able to use that to cool it down. I think from a practical standpoint too, you should probably keep the cooling device as far away from your cigars as possible. If it's too close to some of the cigars, the temperature right around the cool pack will be much lower and could subject the cigars to temperature swings when you remove it. I think it might be a good idea to wrap it in a cloth or something to insulate it and tape it to the lid, heat also rises so this would be more efficient too.