What's new

Warped 717

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
This is a prototype blend from Kyle at Warped Cigars.

Size : 6.25 x 46
Wrapper : Ecuador Habano
Binder: Ecuador
Filler: Nicaraguan (Jalapa and Condega)
Construction: nearly flawless, draw is great

1st Third: This cigar starts out with a nice touch of peppery spice. Overall the cigar is very woody with some earthy notes. Hints of sweet spice, honey and dark fruits show up throughout the first third. It has a lovely black tea finish.

Aroma is of dark cocoa.

2nd Third: Blast of pepper at first that died down after a few puffs. Continues with the woody backbone and hints of sweetness. There are notes of graham cracker, honey and some more black tea. The body is medium with a plethora of smoke. Slight citrus note on the finish.

Final Third: The spice was more present throughout the final third. The sweetness turned more into a caramel finish instead of a honey type note. Also the cigar got much more earthy as well.

Overall Rating: 90

A little bit of background.... On monday I smoked this blend in a 6.25 x 42 format. I gave that cigar a 92 rating for a couple of reasons. Due to the relatively smaller ring gauge, the 42 did not have any ligero in it. I feel like the ligero took away some of the flavors I found in the 42 as well as it introduced some bitterness around the 2nd third. Nothing major to make me dislike this cigar, but it did take away from the blend in my opinion. I found the 42 to have stronger tea and dried fruit characteristics which I really enjoy. If I had to give a description of this cigar it would be the combination of a Tatuaje brown label mixed with a PLCP. I know that might sound a little weird, but it was quite enjoyable. Overall both of these cigar were great, but I enjoyed the 42 a little bit more. As Kyle and I talked about his approach to blending these (and his other cigars) he made it clear that his focus isn't on making a powerhouse cigar. He wants to bring back traditional cuban vitolas as well as flavor profiles. Medium bodied with lots of flavor. I found this to be a refreshing viewpoint in light of the 60+ RG behemoths we are seeing as well as the sticks that are all power and no flavor. He and I have been smoking together for the better part of two years and our tastes have changed and taken a similar course. As we smoke more Habanos, we are finding we enjoy more delicate cigars. Don't get me wrong, we still like a good punch in the face Tatuaje pepper bomb, but its nice to have a change of pace and that is exactly what this blend is. A carefully crafted blend of delicate flavors with just the right amount of strength. I'm not sure what Kyle's plans are regarding releasing this blend, but if/when he does snag some for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Kyle, glad to see your back at it! Loved your old Private Blend. Looking forward to trying this when ready for sale.