What's new

Ways to hurt yourself while rolling cigars

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I found a different way to get hurt while rolling cigars. I've had small nicks, cut my palm when not paying enough attention....but tonight, tonight my chaveta slipped off the working surface. Having learned years ago not to catch a dropping knife, I let it go.
It landed on my big toe...
It kind of hurt but not bad. I picked up the blade and kept going. A little bit later, I looked down and saw my sock was cut and a pretty shade of red....
2017-01-05 04.19.15.jpg

Any of you have any injuries sustained while rolling?

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
So I found a different way to get hurt while rolling cigars. I've had small nicks, cut my palm when not paying enough attention....but tonight, tonight my chaveta slipped off the working surface. Having learned years ago not to catch a dropping knife, I let it go.
It landed on my big toe...
It kind of hurt but not bad. I picked up the blade and kept going. A little bit later, I looked down and saw my sock was cut and a pretty shade of red....
View attachment 90142

Any of you have any injuries sustained while rolling?
Now that is funny shit !!!...... Well look at it like this, U shouldn't have any issue with Hang Nails for a while, Maybe Steel Toed boots for the Home Rollers .....lol

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
klutz alert
For sure. I get to roll the most when I'm switching from day shift to night shift. Everyone goes to bed and I stay up as long as possible to force myself to sleep in before working all night. Sometimes I'm falling asleep, sometimes my chaveta is falling on my toe!
When I roll in the living room with a movie, the ottoman is smaller than my cutting board and soft so the board rocks as I roll the bunch. Not a good combination....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are two pics from different times in my social media feeds where you see bandages on my thumbs. I'm more present now when I roll, as a result. No spacing out in the presence of the chaveta.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
There are two pics from different times in my social media feeds where you see bandages on my thumbs. I'm more present now when I roll, as a result. No spacing out in the presence of the chaveta.
I wondered about that before.
When I cut my palm it was on the spine of my chaveta, there was a previously undiscovered sharp spot on the spine. A buddy made my chaveta and efforts to taper the edges produced a sharp corner. I've since taped the spine, no more sharp edges on the gripping surface.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My Dad was clumsy with a hammer. I can't remember he ever got into a nail pounding session where he didn't holler OUCH! and come up with a bloody digit. I inherited his finish hammer, in fact. Still shows his gruesome blood stains on the hickory handle. Years later, when I became a wood butcher, I made it a point never to hit my fingers with that hammer. Know why? Cause it hurts, is my observation. Used that hammer a ton this last summer putting together my cedar lined smoking porch. Know how many times I hit my thumb last summer? None. Know why? Cause it hurts, is why. Knowing that, why do it?

Both my wives have had knife challenges. I don't know why. Cut themselves all the time. Bearswatter has a tendency to break glass and cut herself. Cut herself with a bread knife just last week. She wants to complain, I tell her: "Don't do it then." Know why? It hurts, is my observation. I still have a scar on my left hand from when I was whittling wood at about age eight. That's when I stopped cutting myself. Know why? Cause by eight, I was old enough to learn.

All's I'm saying is, don't cut yourself. It's not impossible. Just pay attention. Some things are accidents. Hammers and knives aren't. They're under your control.

Hell, I don't even shave, cause, know why?

But then, I'm just a smartass -- what do I know?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
But then, I'm just a smartass -- what do I know?
Hahaha, and I for one appreciate it.

I taped up the handle part of my chaveta with duct tape cause that's what my mentor does and it actually provides a nice grip. I didn't add gauze, but I can see the benefits to that for sure. I have hit my thumbnail with the sharp edge of the chaveta a few times when I was rushing myself and not paying enough attention. Mine didn't come terribly sharp and that has worked a bit in my favor the minority of the time.