What's new

Went to PARTAGAS "Event" At JR Paramus, NJ

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... (This looked like the most appropriate place to post this so...)

Last night (July 27, 2006) I went to the Partagas Event at JR Cigar in Paramus, which lucky for me is about 10 minutes from home. Benji Menendez was there discussing the different types of leaves and tobacco that Partagas uses, and promised freebies so, of course, I went straight there from work.

The event was from 4pm to 7pm. I got there around 6:00, and expected a huge crowd. Suffice it to say by that time it was me and one other guy talking with Benji.

First, for those of you who haven't met him at some other event, he's a really nice guy! He's friendly, extremely knowledgeable about everything regarding cigars (including the laws and legal history), and not condescending at all.

He encouraged questions, and he could see that I was not nearly as knowledgeable as the other guy there, but even talked to me about cutters vs. punches vs. his fingernails (which is what he uses). The other cool thing about him was that he was not averse to talking about other brands. He compared them to Partagas, and was honest. Obviously he's biased, but it wasn't like he pretended that Partagas is the only brand out there... (And, yes, when asked he did branch out beyond the other General Cigar Co. brands!) He also talked to us briefly about the newer trend towards flavored cigars...

[Re: flavored cigars, he basically chalked it up to easier smokes that don't require you to learn the appreciation of the the subtleties of pure tobacco. I loved that he said to him a cigar should be tobacco and filtered water, period. No additives, no chemicals, no sprays, and no bullshit flavoring.]

They gave out a small ziplock with three cigarillos? made of the three tiers (literally, the three different parts of the large tobacco leaves) that go into a Partagas. With that they gave each person who showed up a Partagas "basic," classic, whatever- which includes all three of those types of tobacco. He suggested smoking the three babies, in ascending order of strength and flavor, and then the combined Partagas to appreciate the fullness of the Partagas cigar. (Haven't tried it yet- I suspect to fully enjoy it I'll need a good hour or more!)

They also had a promotion where you pay for 2 stogies, get the third free, which came in a box of Partgas's three higher levels of cigar: BPartagas Naturales, Partagas Black Label Clasico, and Partagas Spanish Rosado San Agustin, which I think they said was their current best seller (the other guy who was there said that's his "go-to" smoke). Haven't smoked those yet, either.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the regulars here go to these events. I guess you have to live near a larger-type cigar store that has events like this with the major companies pushing their brands. It was interesting, educational, and even a little fun. As fucking hilarious as this sounds, meeting Menendez was kind of like meeting a celebrity... But a celebrity who's articulate and eager to share information.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sounded like a great night. I am about 45 minutes from JR Whippany and the same from the Paramus store. I've never made it to any of their events but really enjoy the Whippany lounge.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Not close enough to the large stores like JR or Famous, but a local B&M sends e-mails to invite to similar events. Last time they sent on the day of the event and I did not read the e-mail till after the event was over. Very nice post of the visit and experience. Enjoy the sticks.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sounds like a good time and informative.

Actually was on the train Saturday with John Conway, Mktg Mgr for General Cigar and had an informative chat.

Odd comment that you had mentioned, I know more than one or two FOGs that use either their fingernails or a tootpick to create a ciger airhole.

FYI: The JRs at Whippany is Erich's home away from home.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The JR Paramus doesn't have a lounge area to smoke, which is unfortunate because it'd be a great place to meet a friend or two and hang out...

Regarding the fingernail thing, I've heard of people using fingernails to cut the end, I just don't trust myself to do a good job to keep it clean, nice, with no hanging shreds or leaves... I just started using a punch, which I like a lot more than the cutter because of the nice and easy draw.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Nice and Informative, NY Law. It sounds like a good experience. But one must need to put theory into practice.

So have smoked the basic, classico and san agustin? What is your opinion on each smoke? Like how do they taste? any difference among the three smokes? What about the cigarillos they gave out?

Just curious. Let me know how they turn out.

Geoff, re: The FYI. Thats also very informative, Thank you

Smokozuna brought me to the JR in Paramus. They did have a table and chairs to hold a small meeting. Coffee was always available and there was always someone that one could strike up a conversation with. You mean to say, the table along with the chairs are not there anymore?

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tables? Chairs? Coffee??? Not that I saw anywhere! Menendez was sitting in one of two chairs in the middle of the humidor/warehouse, but it didn't look like a regular sitting area, and I don't remember seeing that set-up the last few times I was in there...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
He mentioned it was Paramus in the original post. They don't have the Montecristo Lounge there as far as I know.

Either way I was workin so I couldn't have gone if I wanted.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
sounded like a good time. wish I couldve been there. partagas are probably my favorite cigars. (both cc and nc) love those Spanish Rosados!! :smokingbo

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
NYLaw said:
Yep Tom, it was the Paramus location... Why- is there a lounge area that I keep missing?
Nope, no lounge at the Paramus location. They used to have a bar there but that closed a long time ago from what I hear.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
caudio51 said:
Nope, no lounge at the Paramus location. They used to have a bar there but that closed a long time ago from what I hear.
They had a few tables there up until a few months ago, but were taken away because of a fight. So as of now there are no more tables to sit down at.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I was at the Whippany location yesterday with some friends. First time I had actually sat down and checked out the bar/lounge area. Had some good drinks and some decent cigars and conversation.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Poni said:
They had a few tables there up until a few months ago, but were taken away because of a fight. So as of now there are no more tables to sit down at.
Right, I heard about that. Was it actually a physical fight?