What's new

What’s the best way to develop my palette

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
so as I smoke more and more cigars I am noticing more flavors I pick up but that’s also because I’m smoking more complex cigars I guess. What’s the best way to keep developing my palette is just keep smoking more cigars the way to develop it or smoke lots of different sticks with a wide variety of flavors and profiles better? Another question I have is I do retrohhale my smoke and I also chew my smoke but I was talking to a guy in my local shop and he told me you chew your smoke or you retrohale not both it’s personal preference all guys are different. Is this true? He said doing both is not getting anywhere.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know it takes quite a long time to develop it as I was watching a review on a stick that I found very earthy and This guy found it not earthy at all and very spicy.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Learning and identifying flavors is key. If you've never had French roast coffee how can you identify it in a cigar? Look through the flavors commonly found in cigars and find ways to experience them without the smoke. Can you identify the taste differences between red, black and white pepper? How about peppercorns?

As far a chew and retrohale being counter to each other, never heard that.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Expanding your experience of course, yes.

Chewing smoke, funny if thought of literally to me, more or less means leaving it in there to more fully expose the smoke to your tastebuds to me; apart from the physical motion of trying to swirl it over your tongue.

For me, identifying flavors was helped by using other peoples experiences...i.e. a cigar review. Read it, listen to another person's experience, smoke the same cigar and see if you can identify the flavor association. It's cool and all, but doing so can be a distracting exercise in percieved ability rather than why we smoke cigars...for enjoyment.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Expanding your experience of course, yes.

Chewing smoke, funny if thought of literally to me, more or less means leaving it in there to more fully expose the smoke to your tastebuds to me; apart from the physical motion of trying to swirl it over your tongue.

For me, identifying flavors was helped by using other peoples experiences...i.e. a cigar review. Read it, listen to another person's experience, smoke the same cigar and see if you can identify the flavor association. It's cool and all, but doing so can be a distracting exercise in percieved ability rather than why we smoke cigars...for enjoyment.
I do this and I’ll find some of same flavors but then I’ll get some completely different.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on I found drinking bottled water while smoking kept my palate crisp and able to pick up some of the flavors I read so many say were out their. Flash forward 25 years to today and now its coffee sweet tea rum whiskey or root beer. Depends on the particular stick and my mood.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Check out the small batch website, there’s some good info on there...at least I think

I say I think, because I don’t know enough about what certain cigars are giving off taste wise

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
When I first started many years ago, everything tasted the same. I eventually started to pick out flavors, aromas, and texture of the smoke. What helped me was I bought 4-5 bundles of I think a pinar del rio blend in a specific vitola. I literally smoked them exclusively until they were gone, and I smoked often, every chance I got. After a while I was accustomed to the flavor, but didn’t know if it was sweet, earthy, leathery, spicy, etc... Once I went through all of the pdr’s, I tried something else, and bam... I could tell a difference, not just in flavor but in mouth feel as well. From there I tried many different cigars and I had a base to compare. After a while, I was able to hone in specific flavors, aromas, textures, etc.