What's new

What am I doing wrong?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

I've read a bunch of posts here, and other sources, about how to set up and maintain humidors, and I am, more or less, following what I think is the consensus. Also, I haven't been experiencing and particular patterns of problems with my sticks. Nonetheless, I welcome any advice.

First a few points:
  • My humidor is, I think, an Adorini Chianti. Criticize it all you wish, but it was a gift from my wife on my last birthday so any suggestions to swap it for something else are ill-advised. It is small, but pretty. (Like my wife.)
  • I live in a condo, and space is at a premium. I might, one day, decide to go the wineador route (we currently have a wine refrigerator in the kitchen, but it is full of wine), but a coolidor is probably not in the cards. (No place to put it where it wouldn't look awful.) That said, I fairly quickly ran out of space (surprise, surprise) and this weekend I grabbed an Oxo food storage container to contain the overflow. Now that's full.
  • My humidor is in a walk-in closet. There is a HVAC vent in the ceiling of the closet that gets a good flow of air when the AC is on. (Over the past year the heat has only been on twice. Miami, you see...)
  • The instructions that came with the humidor were to wipe the inside with a clean sponge wetted with distilled water. I followed the instructions, using a brand-new sponge, not knowing at the time about preferable methods. It also came with some sort of humidification devices - plastic with some absorbent material inside. I used these for a couple months until I learned of Boveda packs.
  • I haven't yet calibrated my hygrometer, but a Boveda calibration kit is enroute from Amazon. Thus far I have been assuming it is accurate. The humidor keeps a pretty consistent 65% RH.
  • You can see in the photo below that the temperature in the Oxo container is too high. I have already moved it from the top shelf to the floor. The temperature in the closet is generally not that warm.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can't see the pictures but if temperature is off only thing you can do is find a cooler place to keep your cigars. The are just boxes and will stabilize at the temperature they are exposed to. Get a thermo and keep it in the closet, see how close it is to the temps in your humidors.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm not entirely sure what your concern exactly is. You said that you aren't experiencing any problems with your sticks, so if they are smoking to your satisfaction, carry on. There is no universal perfect setting. Everyone is trying to get their cigars to a state that they personally find makes them smoke the best to them. The higher temperature (not sure what it is because I can't view your photos either) doesn't adversely affect the taste or smoking of the cigar. They are all rolled and kept in countries whose temperatures run higher than those here. It can make them more susceptible to beetle eggs hatching, so if that is your concern just freeze them first. There are threads on here that can give you tutorials on that.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
well, just off the top of my head I can find at least a handful of things that make me uncomfortable. 1. humidors that use glass in their construction usually leak, i commend you on your keeping it though since the wife gave it to you. 2. analog hygrometers are too inaccurate and often need recalabration. 3. if she has room for a wine cooler you have room for a wino. you could always put a outlet in the closet. 3. if you don't keep the temp in the house below 70 aught to get a wino. http://www.ambientweather.com/amws23.html this is a very nice wireless hygro batteries last about 2 years at a time. welcome to the hobby

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well, just off the top of my head I can find at least a handful of things that make me uncomfortable. 1. humidors that use glass in their construction usually leak, i commend you on your keeping it though since the wife gave it to you. 2. analog hygrometers are too inaccurate and often need recalabration. 3. if she has room for a wine cooler you have room for a wino. you could always put a outlet in the closet. 3. if you don't keep the temp in the house below 70 aught to get a wino. http://www.ambientweather.com/amws23.html this is a very nice wireless hygro batteries last about 2 years at a time. welcome to the hobby
1. It leaks, but around the door, not the glass. And I'm still able to keep it pretty consistently at 65% with only a few Boveda packs inside. The Bovedas last for months.
2. I have a digital hygrometer, sitting at the moment inside a calibration bag.
3. No room for a wine fridge in the closet. Maybe in the bedroom, but I have other priorities for mt time and money at the moment.

What about the airtight plastic container jam-packed with sticks and Bovedas? And concerns about that?

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
1. It leaks, but around the door, not the glass. And I'm still able to keep it pretty consistently at 65% with only a few Boveda packs inside. The Bovedas last for months.
2. I have a digital hygrometer, sitting at the moment inside a calibration bag.
3. No room for a wine fridge in the closet. Maybe in the bedroom, but I have other priorities for mt time and money at the moment.

What about the airtight plastic container jam-packed with sticks and Bovedas? And concerns about that?

Thanks.
Just trying to help out.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So your only concern is the temperature? You have to move it to a cooler place or buy a cooling unit. They are available at Home Depot under $200 and I've used them to help cool my old server room. For long term storage of my sticks I use an old refrigerator with a Kegarator type thermostat set between 63 and 66 degrees. Works great. I don't know of any product that will change temperature without using energy. You know if you seal and insulate the closet properly you can make it one giant "humidor/wine cooler".

You may consider renting a locker at your local B&M for storage but that would be an additional monthly expense.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice Korean Air 74 model you have!
Years ago I bought that on a flight home from the ROK, intending to give it to my nephew. (A number of years ago KAL switched to the A-380 for the NYC - Inchon route. A fantastic plane.) Somehow I never gave it to my nephew and it ended up in a box in my attic. When I moved to FL last year I found it while down-sizing our stuff, and kept it. While unpacking in our new place I decided to pull it out of the box and assemble it. I think it's in good company.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I bought that on a flight home from the ROK, intending to give it to my nephew. (A number of years ago KAL switched to the A-380 for the NYC - Inchon route. A fantastic plane.) Somehow I never gave it to my nephew and it ended up in a box in my attic. When I moved to FL last year I found it while down-sizing our stuff, and kept it. While unpacking in our new place I decided to pull it out of the box and assemble it. I think it's in good company.
When I got done with ARMY Air Traffic Control school they decided to send me to the ROK as my first duty station. I was 20 and probably one of the better years of my life! I did the ATL nonstop to inchon flight with KAL. I don't recall the acft type... All I know is I can't keep those static plane models in the house because I would literally have them everywhere.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I got done with ARMY Air Traffic Control school they decided to send me to the ROK as my first duty station. I was 20 and probably one of the better years of my life! I did the ATL nonstop to inchon flight with KAL. I don't recall the acft type... All I know is I can't keep those static plane models in the house because I would literally have them everywhere.
Where in the ROK was Army ATC?