What's new

What do I need to consider when purchasing a tupperware box?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have the money to spend on an expensive humidor just yet. I would rather spend the extra money on some good sticks and trying new ones.

I plan on getting a tupperware or pyrex container. Preferrably glass. What do I need to consider? For example, should it be all glass? Would a plastic top give off an odor that could damage cigars? Should I line it with cedar spills?

Should I use the crystal packs like the xikar ones or boveda packs?

I guess these kinds of questions or if you know something from experience that I would never think about, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Honestly, it's hard to beat a cooler. I'm not sure what's available where you live (I think you're in UAE, right?) but a decent cooler around here can be had for pretty cheap. Then spend some time getting the smell out (packing it with crumpled up News Papers for a few days did wonders for me). Then just load it with sticks and some Boveda packs and you're good to go.

If you want to use Tupperware, it's the same principle. Get rid of the new plastic smell. You can probably run tupperware through a dishwasher a few times and that should do it. Then it's the same concept. load it with sticks, spread some Boveda around and you're good to go.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
+1 what all the guys are saying about Boveda. Those things work like a charm brother. 65% is right in my wheelhouse, but some guys prefer the 62s.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not to de-rail, but research the threads for humidors here also before buying one. All too often I see threads about the cheap humidors and they're not functioning right etc. Nothing wrong with the tupperdor's either. Just want to make sure you get something that will last a lifetime and then some.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have the small version of the Ziplock container that was linked to above. It holds humidity really well. Too well in fact, I'm having to get a different humidification device (going for boveda) because my sticks are over humidified.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
All of these are good suggestions and you would not go wrong choosing either option. I would do as noted above and use boveda as a worry free method of maintaining your sticks and they are rechargeable if you buy the brown ones. Smoqman has a very good method for recharging them and with a little searching you can find it.
As far as the vessel is concerned, it depends on your needs. Number of cigars, are you concerned about temperature and cost. If you have a Pyrex container at home and it's airtight, throw a couple bovedas and a hygrometer in there and let it sit a day. If the hygrometer reads what % the bovedas are the next day, your good to go. They have many locking lid glass jars and plastic containers at Wally World to choose from if you need something to start out.
If you are going to spend close to $100 I would strongly recommend searching sale sites/garage sales/fleabay for used or scratch and dent wine bottle chillers. They can usually be had for very cheap though you may have to search for quite some time to find a great deal. Even if the cooling unit doesn't work, with little effort they can be made air tight and are an attractive long term solution for storage and aging cigars. These units will require a bit more humidification but can be done extremely in expensively using methods found elsewhere on this site.
You hit the nail on the head; trying new cigars is far more important than the aesthetics of storing them.
Let us know what you decide on and post some pics! Always happy to help someone getting started!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest, most airtight, least plastic smelling you can find.
Incidentally, you can use weather stripping to make a tuppedore airtight. Just make sure you buy a one that does not smell so much of rubber.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Literally any airtight, food-safe container will work.

Lining with Spanish cedar is optional, but not a requirement.

Use a twoway media for rh control... do NOT use crystals or gel or the pucks. Those only release rh, and will not absorb extra. You want something that will both release rh when it gets low, and absorb extra rh when it gets high. A Boveda pack is plenty for a Tupperware and will last a very long time.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-air-tight-storage-tote-transparent-with-aquarium-blue-latch-20qt/-/A-15066036#prodSlot=_1_9

I just purchased this tote from Target and am having a lot of difficulty trying to remove the plastic smell. I didn't really notice it in store but once I got home, it was strong.
I've had it sitting with baking soda for 3 days.

If not, going to try washing it out and sitting it in the sunshine for a few days.

Any others ideas? Heard plain charcoal might help.
I just put cigars in there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-air-tight-storage-tote-transparent-with-aquarium-blue-latch-20qt/-/A-15066036#prodSlot=_1_9

I just purchased this tote from Target and am having a lot of difficulty trying to remove the plastic smell. I didn't really notice it in store but once I got home, it was strong.
I've had it sitting with baking soda for 3 days.

If not, going to try washing it out and sitting it in the sunshine for a few days.

Any others ideas? Heard plain charcoal might help.
Don't skimp on the tupper. Even the food grade ones are cheap enough. Those don't have the plastic smell.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out what I should have considered. It's best to get tupperware with the vent hole. I have only about 5 cigars in my tupperdore with a Boveda 72 and my Bolivar is so moist, you'd think it fell in the water. But I left the top open and about 1-2 hours later, it felt much better. More like how a well humidified cigar should feel.