What's new

What do you do with your tobacco scraps

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name says it all.
1. I have built up a small but growing inventory of scrap tobacco leaf from the dozen or so I have rolled so far. I have been trying to tuck a few pieces in the head as I apply the binder to tighten up the bite, but I am adding more to the zlock scrap bag than I am taking away. Any ideas on what to do with it?
2. A similar question: the binder leaf I purchased is about 2 feet long. Is it possible to cut the leaf so as to get more than one stick from each half? I tried but the veins weren't properly aligned along the length of the cigar. The rolling videos I have seen don't seem to get more than one. Seems like a waste of leaf. (see also question 1 above :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name says it all.
1. I have built up a small but growing inventory of scrap tobacco leaf from the dozen or so I have rolled so far. I have been trying to tuck a few pieces in the head as I apply the binder to tighten up the bite, but I am adding more to the zlock scrap bag than I am taking away. Any ideas on what to do with it?
2. A similar question: the binder leaf I purchased is about 2 feet long. Is it possible to cut the leaf so as to get more than one stick from each half? I tried but the veins weren't properly aligned along the length of the cigar. The rolling videos I have seen don't seem to get more than one. Seems like a waste of leaf. (see also question 1 above :)
You can take a handful of scrap leaf and hand press it into a cigar shape and roll it up in a binder. As you roll, try and maintain the shape. It's really quite easy and the cigars are very smokable.

On a long leaf you can cut it length wise. You have 2 long binders out of 1/2 leaf. This way the veins line up the same for both halves. I do the same for the wrapper. You can get 4 cigars out of 1 wrapper leaf.

Divide.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently rolling my scraps into cigarrillos. Gives me a faster smoke when I don't have an hour to devote to a stick. I also have a pipe I can smoke them in if I want...

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've rolled some cigars with my scrap. Some gars are very good, some are yard gars. About two boxes of scrap went into the garden because I was afraid beetles or larvae could be in it.

I roll a little differently and use the binder leaf like you're rolling a very large joint.
I put the longer pieces in end to end and filling it with the loose scrap along the way.
Sometimes I have enough scrap to roll the leaf into smaller cigars. Usually 40-50 rg is the size I end up with.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've rolled some cigars with my scrap. Some gars are very good, some are yard gars. About two boxes of scrap went into the garden because I was afraid beetles or larvae could be in it.

I roll a little differently and use the binder leaf like you're rolling a very large joint.
I put the longer pieces in end to end and filling it with the loose scrap along the way.
Sometimes I have enough scrap to roll the leaf into smaller cigars. Usually 40-50 rg is the size I end up with.
I was thinking about cobbing together a liebmann machine to deal with scraps. Perhaps I'll try hand rolling something smaller first.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I make very little waste.

Far as filler: If you bunch to the right length and you pay attention to making each end firm, then you won't cut much off each end. If you roll perfectos, you can't have but a tail to cut off, period.

Far as binder: I might cut out a crescent from the inner leaf if the veins are real big. Otherwise, I use the whole width of the half leaf. If you have any significant amount you're cutting off the end, then you are using too large a leaf.

Far as wrapper: yes, I do cut off a fair sized inner crescent, and I do have some left over past the head. The cap takes a smidge out of these. A flag takes a whole section out of the head. The rest goes into a tupperware, I use this stuff to make sacrificial wads that humidify the many samplers and bombs I send out. Wad a healthy scrap, stick it in the bag with those gars, it keeps them nice as a Boveda for the couple days the bomb is in the mail. Doesn't cost Boveda money, either.

I used to roll scrappowocs. The results just weren't good enough to warrant the effort. Likewise, the thick veined stuff from the inner part of wrapper and binder? Too much nic in 'em, and too much bite. More like crappowoc. Wrapper bits from the head are good enough, but you need to mix them with fresh filler. Strips you cut off the outer edge bunch up too tight and don't want to burn.

As for pipe, this is just not the same baccy. I'd rather tamp a cheap Captain Black, cause it smells and tastes like real pipe baccy.

Hell, my biggest waste is where I buy shit leaf, can't believe how bad it is, send some to Bliss, he hates it too, wind up tossing the rest of the bags. For example, I just bought some H2k from Don, for instance, cause someone here said his recent H2k burnt nice, and Don told me it was a different bale from the three or four pounds I bought a year ago. This new stuff may have been a different shipment, but it's the same smellicious crap as before, and I bet it doesn't burn. At the same time, tho, I bought some cheap Sumatra binder that makes excellent wrapper. So you never know. But now I am straying from the subject... so...

No. The best way to deal with scrap is put the effort into don't make scrap... & then accept the fact that the last word in scrap is crap.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a handful of scrap leaf and hand press it into a cigar shape and roll it up in a binder. As you roll, try and maintain the shape. It's really quite easy and the cigars are very smokable.

On a long leaf you can cut it length wise. You have 2 long binders out of 1/2 leaf. This way the veins line up the same for both halves. I do the same for the wrapper. You can get 4 cigars out of 1 wrapper leaf.

View attachment 102141
When you say "hand press" do you have the scrap in case, because mine is dry and crispy?