What's new

What % do you prefer or is acceptable?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pretty good sized wood humidor and right now AI am trying to use humidity beads just in the pucks I got on the lid of the humidor. I still have room in the bottom of the humidor that needs to be filled with sticks and should be a bit fuller come sat. I have around 30 sticks inbound. Top of humidor is around 65% and bottom is around 62-63% right now with 65% beads and around 65-70f. I know the humidor is new and more sticks might change humidity. So what is a good range of humidity and what all is acceptable? These are the pucks I have that I replaced the inside with beads.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The manufacturer of the beads will tell you how many beads you should use for the number of cigars you have. This is just a minimum and normally the more beads the better. If your pucks? are not large enough to hold all the beads you need you can always use a piece of nylon stocking or similar fine meshed bag. I found some small sachet bags at hobby lobby that appear to work very well.

Normally anywhere between 62 and 70% is common, some of us dry box at 62% a couple of weeks before smoking. What you need to remember is that small humidors in particular are notoriously variable and the less expensive ones tend to leak badly. Find the humidity level that your cigars smoke well at. Some of us like damper/drier cigars then others.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The manufacturer of the beads will tell you how many beads you should use for the number of cigars you have. This is just a minimum and normally the more beads the better. If your pucks? are not large enough to hold all the beads you need you can always use a piece of nylon stocking or similar fine meshed bag. I found some small sachet bags at hobby lobby that appear to work very well.

Normally anywhere between 62 and 70% is common, some of us dry box at 62% a couple of weeks before smoking. What you need to remember is that small humidors in particular are notoriously variable and the less expensive ones tend to leak badly. Find the humidity level that your cigars smoke well at. Some of us like damper/drier cigars then others.
I have about half a lb with the two pucks. If need be I can get some stockings or somethign and put some in the bottom.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Doesn't hurt to spread them around the humidor especially if you don't have easy airflow throughout the humidor. Heartfelt says 1/2lb beads for 2.5cuft space seems like you are pretty close?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I buy 65% bags for NC and 58% bags for CC. What ever ends up happening inside my tuppers/wino is fine with me as everything smokes great and I've have no mold or beetle or wet cigar issues. A wooden humidor like yours, make sure you have enough packs, the more the better since you'll inevitably have some leakage that those in the tupper/wino world don't have to worry about. In the end though, don't fret too much about it.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I shoot for 65% but 63-66 is perfectly acceptable. Anything higher than 66 and I start to have burn and flavor issues.

Probably the more important thing though is to have temperature stability. Relative humidity means it is “relative” to the temperature and temperature swings will cause RH swings as well.