What's new

What do you think?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
After all this talk of TE wine coolers, and coolerdors made out of camp/picnic coolers, I realized that I have one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/ycb7a7

Which is both in one.

And I have a temp regulator that I used to use to with my keg fridge.

Both have been sitting outside on the open front porch for a couple winters, so I don't know for sure if they still work, but I am planning on finding out. If they do, I am going to try and make a humidor out of it. My ambient temps are very unstable, so I really need some temp control, but I don't need something as big as a wine cooler.

What do you think? Anyone ever used one of these?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've heard of people using these ( or similar plug in coolers) with success.
Just like any other conversion project, your big concern will be regulating humidity. If you've already got the supplies, give it a shot with some empty boxes.
Although it doesn't seem like it'll hold too much.
Are high temps a problem in Washington?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've heard of people using these ( or similar plug in coolers) with success.
Just like any other conversion project, your big concern will be regulating humidity. If you've already got the supplies, give it a shot with some empty boxes.
Although it doesn't seem like it'll hold too much.
Are high temps a problem in Washington?
It won't hold much (a little less that an ordinary 40qt cooler, because of the cooling plate), but I don't have much. My income is $600 a month. I'd be lucky to buy a box in a year. I mainly get singles and fivers here and there, and the occasional gift.

High temps are a big problem in the summer (80's to 100s all summer), and year round in my house. I have nowhere in my house that I can maintain a constant temp under 70F. Right now I have everything on a windowsill with a window fan blowing cool air on it during the day. Obviously not a permanent solution.

If everything still works, this should work better.

Edit: The cooler runs, but the door is warped and doesn't seal. Maybe some weather stripping would fix it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Unfortunately, my Johnson temp controller doesn't work anymore, and I can't afford another one.

Is there any temp, short of freezing, that is too cold for cigars?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I would not suggest keeping any cigars or cigar storage unit on or near a windowsill. The sun can heat up the inside of the storage unit causing rapid temperature changes which will damage your cigars. This could also cause RH fluctuation as well, which too will damage your cigars. Normally an inside room away from a window (specifically away from direct sunlight) is preferred.

Temperature control 70 degrees or under is the mythical temperature for people that do not want to have issues with tobacco beetles hatching and eating the fine cigars in the humidor. I would think your temperature inside your residence would not vary much during the course of any given day? If disposable income is an issue, I suggest you follow the method to freeze all your cigars before placing them in your humidor and not worry about keeping the temperature 70 or below and store them in the unit you currently use.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would not suggest keeping any cigars or cigar storage unit on or near a windowsill. The sun can heat up the inside of the storage unit causing rapid temperature changes which will damage your cigars. This could also cause RH fluctuation as well, which too will damage your cigars. Normally an inside room away from a window (specifically away from direct sunlight) is preferred.
I hear ya, but this is the Pacific Northwest in November. The sun is a memory. Besides, I have the glass blocked, so even if the sun came out, it couldn't hit the humis.

It's a temporary solution, of course, but for now it's the only place that stays under 70 all the time.

I would think your temperature inside your residence would not vary much during the course of any given day?
Nope. The sill stays between about 58 at night and 68 during the day; the house ranges from 68 at night and 78 or more during the day.

And there are many fluctuations, depending on who happens to be hot or cold at any given time, etc.

Basically, I need to make that cooler work.

I discovered that the temp controller works, but is approx. 25 degrees off. If I set it for 80 (the highest setting) it'll shut the cooler off at 55, then turn it back on at 58.

So, is the 55-58F range all right for storing cigars?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
55-58 degrees will not be a problem at all. Try to keep the storage unit more full than empty with empty cigar boxes if need be. This will help keep the RH levels from bouncing when you open and close the unit. Keep us posted. :thumbsup: