What's new

what gives

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
ok, one of my clients gave me Forbidden X robusto 2006 in the black wooden box as a gift. he had it for over 6 months and I had it for about a month now in my humidor.

first off, it's a very beautiful cigar, well made, nice and firm, nice draw, lit easy and burned very even.
but other than some pepper/spice tase, not much to it. don't get me wrong, it was a decent smoke, but I wonder how long I should have waited to smoke it. a year, 2 or 3 years??? I was just disappointed with the flavor profile and that it didn't change much at all. I had a few Opus X and liked them..........liked them, not loved them. I have about 5 more stored away for the long haul (the opus X) and we'll see next year.

I have to admit that I am a bit of a Pepin whore, love the blues, JJ's and blacks, LOVE LOVE LOVE any Tatuaje, especially the Noellas and the Cojonu 06 oh and the Unicos and the Havana Czadores, hell I love'em all.
then there are the Padron 64's maduro or natural.

when I smoke any of these, I am loving every moment and try to really take the flavor in, but the forbidden was just not even close.
like I said, it was a gift, but for about $35-40 if you can find them, I just expected more.

I also know that everybodies taste is different, but most of us agree on some common favorites.

So what was it?? is this just an over rated cigar?? was it not ready and if not, why do other NC's come almost ready to enjoy and this beauty takes so much time??

I rather order a few monti 2's to store away for a long time, I just had one recently that was actually great and not that aged, but instead of spending that much money on the forbidden, I rather buy a box of tatuaje or something else and save a bundle.

what's your insight here?????

thanx guys, for letting me rant a bit

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Either you love them or don't. I have had a few and wasn't impressed especially when you couple the mystique and the hype associated with the Opus line. But that's just me.

A lot of people love them enough to keep them in regular rotation in their humidor and some guys pass them up. I have *several* that I keep because I bought into the hype and have been gifted many, but I'm thinking that if I smoke them just as I would any other cigar I wouldn't be let down, it is a really good cigar. I just don't paticularly think it lives up to the hype.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
3-5 years I think is there range.. after that some more earthiness comes out and when you match that with the power of the pepper and the spice you get a weak feeling like part of the cigar is not as good..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
6 months was definitely not enough time. I find they are smokable at a year but really need more time then that

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Never was a big fan of OpusX ... but do agree they need several years humi time to blossom. The same is true for the Upmann Sir Winston though. Luckily, there are tons of other cigars out there that don't need age to enjoy.

I guess my advice is to smoke what you like and not to worry about cigars that don't do it for you.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
when you have one over 5 to 7 years old, they can be something special.
AMEN! Although I can't get enough of them, I'm somewhat of an Opus whore, love the whole line. But when you get one that's aged, it's a very special treat. That being said, I don't mind the freshies either.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yeah, it wasn't a problem with the cigar, just nothing special. that's all. I guess I'll have to stick with my favorites and see what I can add in the future. I am just always looking for another brand I love

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Not a huge fan of opus, especially do to the fact that they cost so much and still require storage. When you purchase a $35-40 smoke it should be ready. At least that is my personal opinion.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not a huge fan of opus, especially do to the fact that they cost so much and still require storage. When you purchase a $35-40 smoke it should be ready. At least that is my personal opinion.
I see where you're coming from, but you could also look it as if it was wine instead of cigars.

A really good bottle of wine might be $100 on release, but nowhere near ready to drink.
If you buy it aged and ready to drink it may cost much more.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I see where you're coming from, but you could also look it as if it was wine instead of cigars.

A really good bottle of wine might be $100 on release, but nowhere near ready to drink.
If you buy it aged and ready to drink it may cost much more.
Well put. I enjoy the Opus and treat it as an occaisional special smoke. I keep a box aging with various sizes.

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I do like the Opus X better and I can see them getting better with time, but the forbidden was just a let down. oh well, enjoying a Tatuaje Noella right now, I could eat the damn thing it's so good

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
When I first started smoking cigars I bought every Opus I could find until I had a 100 ct humi just about full of em. I can honestly say that hype had alot to do with it because once I had found the flavor profiles I tend to enjoy, Opus was not in there. Very eye opening day it was when I realized, hey, I really don't like these very much. Now there is I will admit, a stark difference between a fresh and aged (5+ yrs) Opus. The aged I have always very much enjoyed, but it is a totally different animal IMO. Some think though, with Opus supposedly being the top of the line, that they should be good to go right out of the box. All a matter of preference I suppose. One thing I know for sure though, the Fuentes are masters at cigar making and marketing. The almost cult-like following of Opus never ceases to amaze me. However, chances are even if you don't like Opus, you can find something in their lines that suits you. :bottle:

Jammerjoe

Fantasy Sports Geek
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have a few of the Forbiddens and never smoked them. I am saving them for my youngest daughter's wedding. She is 11 so they should be aged quite well by the time it is ready to fire them up.