What's new

what kind of Cohiba do I have?

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a yellow band with the checkerboard pattern, no yellow or red dot in the o, torpedo, very inexpensive.

pic

It was quite tasty but burned terrible. I wouldn't say it was tight, but it burned slow on one side and I had to relight about halfway though. And yes, I purged frequently as I do with all of my cigars now.

Short cut filler maybe?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had a house cigar from the "cohiba" store at the Hughes Shopping Center a few weeks ago, also burned and smoked horribly...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are counterfeits. Do not purchase them & support the scumbags who peddle them. There is no telling what is in these cigars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not a fake...it's just a Dominican Cohiba. Even at that resolution, you can make out the "Republica Dominica" in the band. Monticristi de Tobaccos stopped making these a couple of years ago, I believe because of some copyright issues with the Red Dot Cohiba folks from General Cigar. They are not especially good cigars and, in their day, were way over-priced. I've heard that these are still around in a sort-of grey area, still being sold even after the General lawsuit. Sort of ironic since General Cigar, who sued Monticristi de Tobaccos, has since lost (and then won) a lawsuit from Habanos, SA.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well fine then. I'll smoke the other one instead of giving it away. *grin*

Whether or not it's supposed to be good, it tasted good and smelled great. Just didn't burn well.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
n-tron said:
It's not a fake...it's just a Dominican Cohiba. Even at that resolution, you can make out the "Republica Dominica" in the band. Monticristi de Tobaccos stopped making these a couple of years ago, I believe because of some copyright issues with the Red Dot Cohiba folks from General Cigar. They are not especially good cigars and, in their day, were way over-priced. I've heard that these are still around in a sort-of grey area, still being sold even after the General lawsuit. Sort of ironic since General Cigar, who sued Monticristi de Tobaccos, has since lost (and then won) a lawsuit from Habanos, SA.
They are fakes as far as I am concerned. Their labels infer nothing but a Cuban Cohiba. Any retailer that sells these, should be blacklisted. Just my two cents.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't think it was a real cuban in any sense of the word. It says right on the label "Republica Dominica" which clearly means made in the Dominican Republic. I don't see any deception there.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
i would definetly consider it a fake as well, only because people try and use the Cohiba name is because it is synomonous with cuban and that is why you can get new people to buy them.....

I garuntee you that there are numerous people who walk into a cigar store and think to themselves... "damn what is up with those red dots....." Hey you all know that people are dumb enough for that shit.....

But my point and thought is that if you like it then smoke who cares what anybody thinks about it....

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
The Prince said:
They are fakes as far as I am concerned. Their labels infer nothing but a Cuban Cohiba. Any retailer that sells these, should be blacklisted. Just my two cents.
Incorrect...it clearly states Republica Dominica on it.

Are they trying to make it look cuban by the band?...yes.
Does the label "infer nothing but a Cuban Cohiba?"...no.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
DWavs said:
Incorrect...it clearly states Republica Dominica on it.

Are they trying to make it look cuban by the band?...yes.
Does the label "infer nothing but a Cuban Cohiba?"...no.
Just to piggy back on this sentiment. Next time you go to the grocery store, check out the way the house brands of many items, cereal, detergent, etc. are labeled to look VERY similar to the name brands. Nothing illegal about it, just good marketing strategy.

Now, if these were labeled "La Habana" they would be fake all the way.