What's new

What Kind of Lighter is This?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I was in Chicago last week for work and I found myself at Biggs Mansion cigar shop (amazing spot by the way!). I picked out 5 cigars and went to the counter to pay and that's where I found this awesome lighter. I've never seen anything like this before so I took a video:

Do any of you know what this thing is called? The guy working didn't know much about it. I'd love to pick one up.

BTW, the video makes the lighting noise sound louder than it really is. In person, you didn't really notice it.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I think they call those jump spark cigar lighters
You would be correct - thanks! I just updated the video description and then looked on eBay and they start (START!) at $500! I would imagine these would be the kind of items you could find at flea markets/antique shops/estate sales and the seller would have no clue what they have.

The hunt begins!

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
They are pretty easy to make. If you can forge or know someone that can. Or if you could find old parts and rebuild
Good point - the wooden box is pretty straight forward. Unless there is something inside the box that I'm not aware of.

What causes the charge to light the flame? I assume it could be as simple as an electric charge from a battery that lights the wick.